General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Toonshorty
(regular) Fri 05-Oct-12 18:06:30
Print Post

BT Wholesale checker not showing FTTC availability?

[link to this post]

I imagine the exchange is due to go live shortly since the majority of fibre cabs are in and connected to power. I've noticed several Openreach vans around the town with spools of cable running out of them so it looks like they are just lighting up the ducts now.

I did notice however entering a post code into the BT Wholesale checker doesn't mention anything about FTTC. Last week it would show a speed estimate for the postcode but now it doesn't mention anything as if there were no plans for FTTC. Using the phone or address checker doesn't seem to help at all either. The postcodes used are all for different cabs and they are all going live as far as I know.

Anyone know why this is?
Standard User timl
(member) Fri 05-Oct-12 18:29:20
Print Post

Re: BT Wholesale checker not showing FTTC availability?

[re: Toonshorty] [link to this post]

I have no idea why either. But the same thing happened for the exchange in my area (SEAFORD) which was due to go live end of September (before that end of June) cabinets have been installed since April!

Hopefully it's a good sign.

Tim

BeThere 4.4Mb on 58db!
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Fri 05-Oct-12 18:38:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by Toonshorty:
I imagine the exchange is due to go live shortly since the majority of fibre cabs are in and connected to power. I've noticed several Openreach vans around the town with spools of cable running out of them so it looks like they are just lighting up the ducts now.

I did notice however entering a post code into the BT Wholesale checker doesn't mention anything about FTTC. Last week it would show a speed estimate for the postcode but now it doesn't mention anything as if there were no plans for FTTC. Using the phone or address checker doesn't seem to help at all either. The postcodes used are all for different cabs and they are all going live as far as I know.

Anyone know why this is?
If you enter the name of the place or your post code on this site it should tell you , note that this is only a placeholder date NGA Openreach where & when

And also note that only 1 FTTC needs to be accepting orders for them to Announce that the exchange as accepting orders, So even if the exchange does go live on or before the placeholder date you FTTC cab & others still may not be accepting orders ,so in effect in such circumstances that date would be meaningless to you,

As for the BT Wholesale checker, Similar instances of info disappearing from it, usually after the exchange has been marked as accepting orders or the given place holder date has passed , following it accepting orders , as it i can be slow to update

Have you tried some of the isp's who offer FTTC availability checkers ,(other than bt ) ? The only oher way of possibly obtaining some further info maybe e-mailing nga.complaints.or.enquiries@openreach.co.uk Should you not be able to order FTTC services soon , The cable you describe could just have been the cable that they use to link the PCP to it's associated FTTC cab

The exchange that I and several friends are connected to recently was announced as accepting orders, 17-sept 12, It had a placeholder date of 30 sept 12 , But there are only 2 FTTC cabs accepting orders, out of the 20 or so installed ,After the 30th September had passed all info regarding FTTC that was previously on the BTWholesale checker was removed , so you could easily end up in a similar situation with no published info available to you ,In my friends case after contacting openreach via the above e-mail address they find that due to difficulties in installing the fibre link (often the final stage) as being the reason why, but still wont give a date

Edited by tommy45 (Fri 05-Oct-12 18:48:06)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lensmann
(newbie) Fri 05-Oct-12 22:33:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by Toonshorty:
I did notice however entering a post code into the BT Wholesale checker doesn't mention anything about FTTC. Last week it would show a speed estimate for the postcode but now it doesn't mention anything as if there were no plans for FTTC.

This just happened in relation to my local exchange as well. I'm guessing (hoping!) this is because the checker's database is in the process of being updated in anticipation of the exchange going live. I spoke to an Openreach engineer who was working on a cabinet a couple of weeks ago, and he said the exchange would probably be going live this month, so it makes sense timing-wise.
Standard User brightd
(experienced) Sat 06-Oct-12 09:23:59
Print Post

I am in the same position as you. In my case the rest of the town has FTTC while we show nothing. The reason in my case is that we are destined for FTTP at some point, but I do not know when.

David

plusnet Broadband Extra customer
DrayTek Vigor 2830n
Standard User npbq
(newbie) Wed 07-Nov-12 13:51:22
Print Post

[re: brightd] [link to this post]

Is there any way I can find if my line is an exchange only line? The BT wholesale status checker mentions FTTC availability for my postcode (AB155EN) coming by the end of year and I can see the trucks rolling out fiber in the street today. However checking for my phone number does not mention FTTC availability. I was quite looking forward to FTTC as I am far from the exchange and getting only 5mbs, not to mention losing the connection whenever I receive a phone call.

If the line is indeed not planned, is there any way of complaining to BT and see if they have any plan to fix the situation? Has anybody tried to put pressure on them, maybe by going through the local council?
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Wed 07-Nov-12 15:40:49
Print Post

[re: npbq] [link to this post]

you can use this checker http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre/checker.php

Unfortunately it shows 68% of lines are exchange only, the remainder are on cab 12

You may be on cab 12, but the bt wholesale checker may not mention fibre until much closer to the go live date.

Standard User npbq
(newbie) Wed 07-Nov-12 15:52:46
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Thanks for the link. I had come across this site before in my quest for an answer but could not find it again. It's madening how BT does it's best to obfuscate the roll out process. On the surface they will soon be covering all Aberdeen exchanges, but good luck finding the actual percentage of line for the city that will be able to get it.

I must be part of the 68%. If I check the BT wholesale site by street address, the end of the street closest to cabinet 12 shows end of year FTTC availability, but it stops after a few houses as I get closer to my house number.

Is there any recourse for those stuck on exchange only lines?

Thanks,
Nicolas
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Wed 07-Nov-12 15:56:30
Print Post

[re: npbq] [link to this post]

They are supposed to be working on something for exchange only lines, such as FTTP or perhaps installing a PCP and fibre cabinet, but who knows if, when or where this will be implemented.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 07-Nov-12 16:04:35
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Most recent news is http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/i/5473.html

So they have solved it in some parts of Cornwall, and looks like North Yorkshire will be next. As for your area, a lot depends on whether council decides to do the area under its project.

Exchange Only lines cost more, due to the extra work, so probably fall outside the commercial footprint all the time.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to