General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ajackuk
(newbie) Sat 06-Oct-12 19:29:26
Print Post

FTTC - Motherwell -,What the signs?

[link to this post]

Motherwell is due to be done by BT in December, and was wondering what I should be looking for in my area. I have certainly not seen any new cabinets appear yet for example.

I imagine that the December date means the exchange will be ready, and that a number of new cabinets are operational, but not all of course, so guess it could be months after December before it reaches my area???

Postcode ML1 4FY if that aids replies.

Thanks
Standard User iwish
(committed) Sat 06-Oct-12 20:39:23
Print Post

Re: FTTC - Motherwell -,What the signs?

[re: ajackuk] [link to this post]

There is some place markers for bt work to start today and more to start on the 15
Reference: BT020-S000000026571 (1370613)
Address: Balvenie Drive, Carfin
Promoter: British Telecom
Telephone: 0800 3282873
Dates : 06/10/2012 - 09/10/2012
Use this site to find bt work in Scotland
put your post code in and set date from today untill November and see what comes up in your area

http://www.roadworksscotland.org/mapsearch.aspx
Standard User ajackuk
(newbie) Sat 06-Oct-12 20:56:43
Print Post

[re: iwish] [link to this post]

Many thanks for the info, the web site shows the area being worked on is where I am 95% certain is my street box, will kep my eyes open over the next few days !

Question - from things I have read, there is a chance that not everyone in the street box may be able to get the new service (read things like only some areas serviced by the box get the new service) but am guessing that is for engineering reasons. Can anyone explain more? I hope my box should serve all as it is between 2 estates that are 8 or so years old.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User iwish
(committed) Sat 06-Oct-12 21:06:53
Print Post

For your post code i get this
We couldn't find any information about your postcode. This usually means that there are no current plans to roll out a fibre product to your postcode area
But it could be worng
Standard User R0NSKI
(committed) Sat 06-Oct-12 21:19:05
Print Post

[re: iwish] [link to this post]

Don't forget that the spreadsheet checkers are working on data that is almost a year old.

Standard User ajackuk
(newbie) Sat 06-Oct-12 21:45:46
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies and info folks!
Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Sat 06-Oct-12 22:28:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by ajackuk:
Question - from things I have read, there is a chance that not everyone in the street box may be able to get the new service (read things like only some areas serviced by the box get the new service) but am guessing that is for engineering reasons. Can anyone explain more? I hope my box should serve all as it is between 2 estates that are 8 or so years old.

With one exception (*), everyone served by a street box (ie a cabinet, or PCP) will be able to get FTTC service.

The problem is the other way around: some postcodes are served by 2 different cabinets. Where 1 cabinet is upgraded, but the other is not, then a postcode ends up being partially served.

However, any one property is (almost without question) served by 1 cabinet - and so either will or won't get the service.

(*) The one exception is (similar to ADSL) the distance the property is from the cabinet (where in ADSL it is the distance from the exchange). The absolute maximum distance isn't known, and depends on whether the line is made of copper or aluminium). Some places seem to run out of service at 1200 metres, while others are around 1600 metres. I think the longest I've heard of is 1900 metres.
Standard User ajackuk
(newbie) Sat 20-Oct-12 06:43:32
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Well they are installing the cabinet! On the other side of the road to the current street cabinet, but it is being installed.

Fingers crossed that come December / January it will all be switched on.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 23-Oct-12 02:15:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by ajackuk:
Well they are installing the cabinet! On the other side of the road to the current street cabinet, but it is being installed.

Fingers crossed that come December / January it will all be switched on.

gonna be at least another 3 months imo, they need to schedule several other visits to cab

Power,
power certification,
etc
Standard User Bob_s2
(committed) Tue 23-Oct-12 08:44:20
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Power can be installed within 24 hours by the utility company provided BT have scheduled. Assuming the supply is metered the utility company will connect up to the meter. The customerie BT is responsible for coonecting from the customer side to the equipment. THere should not be any need fpr a seperate certification voisit as this should be able to be done under the competent person self certification scheme a copy of which should go to the customer and the Bulding Control Department or Planning department of the LA
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to