General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 07-Oct-12 07:11:22
Print Post

A Realy Silly Couple of Questions

[link to this post]

Hello. Have looked for answers but can't fine anything definitive.

Our exchange area was listed in the last release of dates for fibre upgrade on 23rd sept I think it was.

I know this likely means fttc. Here are m list of basic questions.

1. What kind of kit goes in the cabinets? Is it vdsl, vdsl2 or what is it?
2. Currently I have quite A short line giving me an attenuation of 10. Do they upgrade the exchange as well as cabinets and I'm guessing then that I'd likely remain connected via the exchange rather than a cabinet?
3. If I wanted to, I can order fibre to the house?
4. We only have a date as 'by the end of 2013'. How long does it usually take for rfs date?
5. Does fttc suffer similar contention issues to adsl or does that come down solely to your ISP?
6. What type of router would be good for fttc or fttp?
7. I've read some places that even though my area is being upgraded it still might be that not everyone will benefit. Is that true and if so why would that be?

I'm sure there are more things, but his is enough for now. I'm really sorry for these basic questions. I know enough to be excited about this but not enough to know anymore than that if you know what I mean. Thanks everyone
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 07-Oct-12 09:49:57
Print Post

Re: A Realy Silly Couple of Questions

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
1. What kind of kit goes in the cabinets? Is it vdsl, vdsl2 or what is it?
2. Currently I have quite A short line giving me an attenuation of 10. Do they upgrade the exchange as well as cabinets and I'm guessing then that I'd likely remain connected via the exchange rather than a cabinet?
3. If I wanted to, I can order fibre to the house?
4. We only have a date as 'by the end of 2013'. How long does it usually take for rfs date?
5. Does fttc suffer similar contention issues to adsl or does that come down solely to your ISP?
6. What type of router would be good for fttc or fttp?
7. I've read some places that even though my area is being upgraded it still might be that not everyone will benefit. Is that true and if so why would that be?
You might find this page a useful read. I have some updating needed, but it should give you the grounding.

1) Probably answered on that page.

2) You imply you know you are on an "exchange only" (EO) line whereby you aren't connected to a cabinet. If so, then at the moment you would not be able to have fibre, apart from Virgin Media if that is available to you already. Openreach are looking inot a solution.

3) Three cases:
- EO line, that is one of the solution being considered, re my answer (2);
- your area is provided with FTTP (Fibre to the Premises) not FTTC in the first place;
- FTTC is provided as the standard product for your area, in whcih case you will probably be able to order "Fire on Demand" to replace it. That is expected to have a high installation charge but normal ongoing monthly FTTP prices.

4) That's pretty meaningless in most instances. It just means it is now on the list to be done.

5) Contention on ADSL is usually an ISP issue now. I suggest you start a thread in General Chatter or Which ISP if you you suffer greatly from it.

6) At the moment, any "cable router", fed by ethernet from Openreach kit in your house. By the time you can get either then things will be different, with ISPs able to offer alternatives, including combined VDSL2 modem/routers, plus no doubt some you can just buy like we do for ADSLx.

7) Even though an exchange may get enabled, not all cabinets it serves are reckoned by the accountants at Openreach to be likely to get enough sign-ups to make it profitable for them. Or for whatever reasons they would cost too much or take too long. Or they are in a conservation area and sometimes they can't get permission. So they miss them out. You can't change which cabinet you are connected to. These cabinets may or may not get included at a later stage, once they have the bulk of the country done.

Seven questions are not "A really Silly Couple", tongue smile.

Keep asking though. There's bound to be a few more you think of.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 07-Oct-12 09:54:49)

Standard User FRS_Plunderer
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 07-Oct-12 16:01:26
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Good job! I came into this thread this morning thinking: couple = 2, took one look at that list and figured: sunday = rest day.

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 07-Oct-12 16:14:01
Print Post

[re: FRS_Plunderer] [link to this post]

Thank you both for your replies. I don't know if I'm an eo line, but the exchange is only some 5 or 600 metres away.

The couple of questions did grow as I was writing the post, and I forgot to change the title, sorry frown

Thank you roberto for the excellent informative response though, I really do appreciate your time and sharing of your expertise
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 07-Oct-12 16:14:26
Print Post

smile
It must have been.

You haven't corrected me on any of it, and you usually find something! tongue

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 07-Oct-12 16:15:30
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

If you give us the postcode we may be able to tell you if it is EO or not. Even perhaps the cabinet, if it isn't EO.

Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sun 07-Oct-12 16:40:05
Print Post

[like]

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User FRS_Plunderer
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 07-Oct-12 17:40:50
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
smile
It must have been.

You haven't corrected me on any of it, and you usually find something! tongue

well I thought about pointing out the "Fire on Demand" product you were pushing in answer 3, but I didn't want you to change it - sounds pretty hot!

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by FRS_Plunderer (Sun 07-Oct-12 17:42:41)

Print Thread

Jump to