General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User drunkenfool
(learned) Wed 10-Oct-12 09:11:07
Print Post

Hereford FTTC - Part 4

[link to this post]

Carrying on from part 3 (http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/4155560-hereford-fttc-part-3.html?fpart=23#Post4166334)

The engineer turned up around 12pm and finished the install within 45 minutes. We are currently syncing at 40,000 down and 1,999 up but very, very strangely - our upload throughput is 10mbps this morning! I've tested it on the PC via wired connection, iPad and iPhone on Speedtest.net and all are coming back between 8.5 an 9.5mbps upload crazy

On a side note though, I went with Sky as their 40mbps service wasn't much less than the 43mbps that the BT estimator said we could get, but when the engineer came to install the line he said it was theoretically capable of 88mbps (even though they only do a 76mbps service, can anyone explain this to me?) I was then thinking about leaving sky during the cooling off period as I really don't mind paying more money for a much faster service so I rang sky and asked them about their 80/20 fibre pro, which isn't supposed to be available here yet, but the lady on the phone said that it is actually available now and that after their systems had refreshed overnight I could ring and order it today, which I will do this evening (as I was on hold for the best part of an hour last night). Just thought this info might be useful for other people thinking of going with sky but put off by the 40mbps max speed...
(learned) Wed 10-Oct-12 09:12:26
Print Post

Re: Hereford FTTC - Part 4

[re: drunkenfool] [link to this post]

Oh, and at the moment the line stats are 10ms ping, 37.68mbps down and 9.22 up.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 10-Oct-12 09:15:02
Print Post

The 2 to 10 seems to be a common thing, they start at the lower speed and jump you once it is seen to work.

The 88 Mbps is the estimate based on attenuation and noise margins, so while the maximum sync is 80 Meg (throughput maximum of 76 Meg), if Openreach were to launch a 100 Meg service you might actually see more speed.

Though as more people order in the area this maximum will descrease due to cross talk.

The Sky 80/20 is more of a if you know about it and ask product, as in Sky are managing contention by not giving the absolute fastest speed.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Wed 10-Oct-12 12:04:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by drunkenfool:
Oh, and at the moment the line stats are 10ms ping, 37.68mbps down and 9.22 up.

Sky are fab! I have just unlimited but as soon as I get fiber, Bam getting Pro baby!

As Andrew says the 2/10 thing is common and shouldn't happen as Sky dropped 2mbps up not long after they launched it in favour of 10.
(learned) Wed 10-Oct-12 18:19:30
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

Well I'm not too happy with them at the moment... When I rang yesterday I was told I couldn't upgrade until today due to the system being refreshed overnight, I just rang now after another half hour on hold, only to be told that it is';t possible to upgrade at all during the 2 week period where the line is settling in, This now means that I can't find out about the upgrade until 14 days after the contract starts, which is also when the cooling off period expires, so they basically said either I cancel now and go elsewhere or wait the 14 days and see if I can upgrade, but by that time I will be stuck in the contract. If the BT engineer said the line is capable of a lot more than 40 and I am willing to pay the extra £10 a month straight away, is there any actual technical reason why the upgrade could not be carried out immediately, or is it a case of the sales team not knowing what they are on about?
Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Wed 10-Oct-12 18:27:06
Print Post

No technical reason. The initial DLM tuning on fibre works over the initial 48 hours. After that, it is just in "standard" monitoring mode.

Even with the 48 hours going on, Plusnet have been able to order regrades in the past (changing from 40/2 to 40/10 for me personally). That implies there is no admin limitation with BT Wholesale or BT Openreach either.

Any reference to 10 days applies to ADSL only - and it might be that Sky's admin systems won't let an order go through because of limitations in *their* part of the process.
Standard User Wigga21
(newbie) Wed 10-Oct-12 22:57:30
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

can somebody help me? as im new to this, is the cabinet 58 ready?
Standard User markipad
(newbie) Thu 11-Oct-12 08:05:29
Print Post

[re: Wigga21] [link to this post]

Hi and welcome. I'm relatively new to this forum as well, and I've found that a good starting point is to check your phone number at this page:
https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

Also this site helps you to discover the likelihood of your postcode being linked to a particular cabinet:
http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre/checker.php

This next link shows a map of the cabinets in Hereford. I understand it gets updated when people notify the creator.
https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=2038197937670145...

The next link takes you a list of providers, so that you can select from it to check your individual line status:
http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/at-home/buy-it-...

Edited by markipad (Thu 11-Oct-12 16:23:36)

Standard User Wigga21
(newbie) Thu 11-Oct-12 15:53:06
Print Post

[re: markipad] [link to this post]

thank u, im little confused about http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre/checker.php
looklike im not getting firbe? am i correct

HR49YL HEREFORD This postcode has some Exchange Only lines
This means there is currently no cabinet to run FTTC from.
Openreach may deploy FTTC/P in the future to this area. 86% M_B
HR49YL HEREFORD FTTC 13% 3.92 8b (PF to Q1) P58
We have also checked the latest Openreach data, which tells us the following:
Exchange Name FTTC or FTTP Explanation
WNHR HEREFORD FTTC available Where cabinets/fibre have been installed orders are being accepted, you can check with your telephone number at the BT Wholesale Checker.
Results for Postcode HR4 9YL

Map of Postcodes Location Notes

Edited by Wigga21 (Thu 11-Oct-12 16:01:26)

Standard User markipad
(newbie) Thu 11-Oct-12 16:20:00
Print Post

[re: Wigga21] [link to this post]

Well, I think that means that further checks will be necessary for your particular line. Do you have broadband at the moment and, if so, what speed do you currently get?

Also, have you put your number into your provider's checker?

This page from Openreach provides links to the various providers, so select the one that applies to you, and input your telephone number:

http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/at-home/buy-it-...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to