General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User izools
(experienced) Wed 17-Oct-12 01:15:39
Print Post

Who will offer 330Mbit packages?

[link to this post]

I have been looking over the Openreach product list and it seems their GEA-FTTP 330/20 product is very competitively priced when the CP orders it with a new WLR phone line provide, if ordered before 31 January.

In fact, barely any more expensive than the current cost for GEA-FTTP 100/15 pricing.

So who's offering FTTP packages faster than 100/15?

I'm quite happy to pay for it and the service will be ready for me to order at my premises this quarter according to Openreach...

http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/pricin...

Given the cost to the CP of 330/20 over 100/15 I'd expect to see a price premium of £5-15 PCM passed on to the end user, but it would certainly be snapped up by those who have the choice!

But ISPs - you'd better offer something soon - Openreach's promotional pricing ends 31st January.

Edited by izools (Wed 17-Oct-12 01:21:51)

Standard User bgriffiths
(member) Wed 17-Oct-12 08:50:49
Print Post

Re: Who will offer 330Mbit packages?

[re: izools] [link to this post]

I wouldn't mind seeing a few more 100/15 offerings, nevermind 330!! BT and A&A seem to be the only ones actually offering FTTP; a few others are still in "trial mode". Some competition nearer BT's price point would be welcome

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Wed 17-Oct-12 09:11:46
Print Post

Until the Openreach product is used by someone other than BT Wholesale they're the best to look at and according to BT Wholesale the uplift they're charging ISPs over the 100/15 FTTP product is 13GBP/month, not including VAT.

Add the extra strain on interconnects and transit and you soon end up with a product significantly more expensive. The vast majority won't bother; the uptake for Virgin's 50Mb product when it was 52GBP/month, and frankly a 330/20 product will have to be shaped senseless to come in that cheap, was tiny.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User izools
(experienced) Wed 17-Oct-12 15:40:32
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
Until the Openreach product is used by someone other than BT Wholesale they're the best to look at and according to BT Wholesale the uplift they're charging ISPs over the 100/15 FTTP product is 13GBP/month, not including VAT.

Add the extra strain on interconnects and transit and you soon end up with a product significantly more expensive. The vast majority won't bother; the uptake for Virgin's 50Mb product when it was 52GBP/month, and frankly a 330/20 product will have to be shaped senseless to come in that cheap, was tiny.

I ask because I want as decent an upstream as possible.

Now 100/20 or even 110/30, that'd make for a very appealing product to me!

(experienced) Wed 17-Oct-12 18:21:18
Print Post

I only got 290M-300M testing my 1G ethernet link in loopback mode. So having a 330M line would not be fully saturated by existing networking hardware.

That said, If said could get a link of 330M/150M for the same £20 per month, then I would order it. Would have no use for it, but I would order it..

IanD
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 17-Oct-12 18:46:06
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

I can push around 700 Mbps between two reasonable power machines on a Gigabit LAN

But I do foresee lots of moans about speed as it rolls out and people don't see speed tests always giving that speed.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Wed 17-Oct-12 18:58:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
I can push around 700 Mbps between two reasonable power machines on a Gigabit LAN

Two Core i7 based desktop machines with motherboard Intel network cards and no antivirus software and SSD drives managed just under 800megabit/sec on a test at work with a Juniper (£2500) gigabit switch.

Most home users won't have that kit smile

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
13 years of broadband - ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(16M)/BT FTTC(50M)

Edited by jchamier (Wed 17-Oct-12 18:58:57)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 17-Oct-12 19:25:50
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In my case a dual quad core and a Dell Inspiron 4400 laptop, and whatever router is under test. Use in memory stuff to avoid disk speed issues.

One day if extremely bored I will have to try old laptops and see how they perform, I think one of them does have Gigabit ethernet.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Wed 17-Oct-12 20:56:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:
Two Core i7 based desktop machines with motherboard Intel network cards and no antivirus software and SSD drives managed just under 800megabit/sec on a test at work with a Juniper (£2500) gigabit switch.

Well I can push 747Mbps between my home office PC and my server using LAN Speed test

http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv87/Ronskiman/Co...

I have a (£57.50 smile) NetGear ProSafe GS116 (GS116NA) 16-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch in my server room (cloakroom!) and in my office I have a 5 port Netgear GS605 switch.

I quite often get 70Mb/s file transfers between my PC and the sever, but tonight they seem to be around 39MB/s

Hopefully I'm comparing like for like figures wink !

Edited by R0NSKI (Wed 17-Oct-12 20:57:53)

Standard User izools
(experienced) Thu 18-Oct-12 08:08:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:
In reply to a post by MrSaffron:

My network currently comprises a HP Microserver with 4x 3TB 7200 RPM Drives & GLAN, an i7-3930K desktop (GLAN) w/ SSD, i7 laptop (5.0GHz wireless N) w/ SSD, and a Phenom II x6 rig (5.0GHz Wireless N) w/ RAID-0 7200 RPM 1TB drives.

I can copy files from the microserver to my i7 desktop via my Netgear DGND3700 @ around 100MByte/sec unless it's on a latter section of the drive I'm copying from in which case I'm limited by the drive itself and wireless throughput is around 150-200Mbit a sec.

Wouldn't have much problem saturating the line! But it's the upstream I'm interested in anyway.

I agree with the sentiments however that most consumer grade networks wouldn't be able to handle anywhere near the headline speeds...

Jump to