General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User giggsy1977
(learned) Thu 18-Oct-12 11:02:25
Print Post

Upload on Infinity 2

[link to this post]

Good day everyone. My upload speed with Infinity 2 is slow, around 6Mbps. BT Live Chat tells me they cannot do much about the upload speed, only the download. My folks on the same cabinet get 9.05Mbps upload (they are on Infinity 1). Is this the case or is there something I can do? Thanks.

Predicted speed 54.7Mbps down/15.7Mbps up. Actual speed 50Mbps down/6.5Mbps up...crazy
Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 18-Oct-12 11:05:43
Print Post

Re: Upload on Infinity 2

[re: giggsy1977] [link to this post]

Tidy up your wiring to the modem, make sure it does not go too close to any electrical or electronic equipment.

Make sure you test using a wired Ethernet connection from PC to router and that any AV is turned off an nothing else is running on the PC or using any network bandwidth.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User greenglide
(committed) Thu 18-Oct-12 11:37:55
Print Post

Is this perceived transfer rate via a speed test or the actual connect speed from the line profile via the BT speed test or hacking the openreach modem?

If it is a figure from a speed test then the line profile needs to be seen. If it is a connect speed from a hacked modem or the line profile then it may simply be down to line length to FTTC CAB.

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User StephenTodd
(committed) Thu 18-Oct-12 11:58:21
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Also, check you upload speed with http://myspeed.visualware.com/index.php which often gives more reliable estimate of upload speed than other testers (the BT tester is particularly bad at upload speed test).

Many people find its figures no better than others, but quite a few find it shows better figures. I haven't heard of any cases where it gave incorrect/overinflated figues; the figures it gives are representative of what you will get on good upload sites. When I had a line problem that effected download, I consistently got upload figures like:
17 real upload,
17 visualware,
14 speedtest.net
9 BT wholesale tester
6 BT retail tester

Figures now are
17 visualware
15 speedtest.net
14 BT retail tester

I used to use http://mcslhr.visualware.com/myspeed/myspeed_line_ca... for this test but that now seems to require login. The download tests with the site http://myspeed.visualware.com/index.php are too low (around 35 where other sites show 60 or so), but the upload still seems to be the best guide.

--
Moved (with trepidation) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 18-Oct-12 12:22:22
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

On FTTC the upstream IP Profile is always the top sync for the product. I.e. 2/10/20.

And hey, the BT test just decide to work for me. This is wireless:-
Download speedachieved during the test was - 50.48 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12 Mbps-55.64 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 55.64 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 12.27Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.4/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User greenglide
(committed) Thu 18-Oct-12 13:00:17
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I hadn't realised that as I am still getting the full 20Mb/s up as well as the maximum down speed - great being near the cabinet!

I have a "spare" modem that I have hacked but not yet used - must extract the maximum rate details.

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
Standard User giggsy1977
(learned) Thu 18-Oct-12 17:18:44
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

Guys - thanks for the responses. Much appreciated.

MHC - my wiring is always tidy and away from power cables! :- I am using a wired Ethernet connection also.

greenglide - the btspeedtester.net shows my upload profile as 20Mbps. I am less than 400m from the cabinet and my folks are on the same line some 50m closer and easily get much more than me on the slower package...crazy

StephenTodd - I shall try the hyperlink when I get home later. Thanks.

Predicted speed 54.7Mbps down/15.7Mbps up. Actual speed 50Mbps down/6.5Mbps up...crazy
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 18-Oct-12 17:21:13
Print Post

What is your computer, and in particular which OS is on it?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.4/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User giggsy1977
(learned) Thu 18-Oct-12 18:07:59
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Good evening RobertoS! My pc is old and runs Windows xp so I have borrowed my mothers laptop which is only 18 months old and runs Windows 7. My download is pretty good and it's very stable. I have service drawings of BT cables under the pavement to the telegraph poles and ny folks line is probably 50m shorter than mine. Both properties have new internal wiring.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 18-Oct-12 18:23:10
Print Post

Can you try using the same machine on both connections. Try BT, BT Beta, TBB Flash, TBB Java, speedtest.net and Visualware on both and compare all of the results.

It might also be worth checking what you MTU is set to in the router and PCs - 1492 is recommended for Infinity.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to