General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 20-Oct-12 12:18:22
Print Post

BT Retail Infinity FTTP 110/15 now listed as 160/20

[link to this post]

All BT retail has updated their site which seems to indicate that the 110Mbps FTTP product has been uplifted to 160Mbps.

That's not a big surprise but still interesting news.

More information can be found at

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProduc...

Gareth
Milton Keynes Broadband Action Group
MKBAG.ORG
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 20-Oct-12 12:43:28
Print Post

Re: BT Retail Infinity FTTP 110/15 now listed as 160/20

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Openreach has offered a 330 Mbps for some time, so suggestion is maybe that BT Retail may be using this and throttling it.

An interesting change though, there is a 220 Mbps product due in 2013, so that openreach have

110 Mbps, 220 Mbps and 330 Mbps available

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 20-Oct-12 13:20:56
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Andrew,

I have no idea. Very confused by that. It makes sense but.....

Mind you. If they only have a few customers on 110 putting them on 330 might not be a big deal.

Regards,

Gareth

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mr_mojo
(knowledge is power) Mon 22-Oct-12 21:28:25
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I think the marketing benefit in the short term of 1uping VM will outweigh the slightly more expensive OR charges.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 22-Oct-12 21:41:16
Print Post

[re: mr_mojo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mr_mojo:
I think the marketing benefit in the short term of 1uping VM will outweigh the slightly more expensive OR charges.
You think there is really any marketing benefit in the mass market? Mainly in the minds of the marketing departments and a tiny minority of geeks like us.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.4/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Mon 22-Oct-12 23:33:18
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
You think there is really any marketing benefit in the mass market? Mainly in the minds of the marketing departments and a tiny minority of geeks like us.

It allows you to use emotive language about having the fastest broadband in your advertising. That's actually more significant to the mass market than to us geeks who see through the blanket claim and examine the detail.
Standard User mr_mojo
(knowledge is power) Tue 23-Oct-12 02:07:19
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

Yeah, exactly. 'UK's fastest 160meg broadband' wins over VM 120meg broadband even if VM is far more available.

They also know that it means VM can't advertise fastest broadband without releasing a faster product, which would really, really strain their DOCSIS network at the moment.
Standard User izools
(experienced) Tue 23-Oct-12 03:57:28
Print Post

which would really, really strain their DOCSIS network at the moment.

Lol, yeah, as if it isn't over-strained enough already...

I was miffed when I moved last month to find out the cul-de-sac I moved to was the only eight houses in the whole estate that couldn't get Virgin Cable. Having seen how it actually performs in the real world for my neighbours however I'm happier with my seven meg from BE!

Bring on FTTP. C'mon Openreach, I was supposed to be done in Phase 5a frown

(knowledge is power) Tue 23-Oct-12 09:39:49
Print Post

Yeah, exactly. 'UK's fastest 160meg broadband' wins over VM 120meg broadband even if VM is far more available.

They also know that it means VM can't advertise fastest broadband without releasing a faster product, which would really, really strain their DOCSIS network at the moment.

Yes - VM are just now releasing 2 upstream channel bonding for their 120Mb/12Mb product. Going to 200Mb and 20Mb upstream would be a new tier given how recently they'll have done free upgrades.

It's not impossible though, just means pushing the network even harder than the 100Mb/10Mb product did as there are more modems on each 2 bonded channel group than there were on each of the channels alone and they lose statistical contention benefits by offering the same 55% of the channel capacity they did running 10Mb upstream on a single 18Mb channel.

With upcoming traffic management changes it might happen, it's a hell of a push though. The highest upstream I've seen on cable is 15Mb, and that was on at least 2 x 27Mb bonded channels and more likely 2 x 27Mb + 1 x 9Mb channels given 15Mb out of 54 - 63Mb available.

EDIT: Disclaimer - I have seen 15Mb upstream on a single upstream channel however this was using non-standard load balancing, forcing different tiers of service onto different channels rather than, as VM and everyone else do, spreading modems across all channels regardless of tier.

Edited by Ignitionnet (Tue 23-Oct-12 09:50:55)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 23-Oct-12 10:57:08
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

Phrases like widespread will come into play, as BT cannot claim fastest when there are other products that go faster i.e. Gig

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5498-growth-of-fi...

175,000 FTTP passed and around 13,000 subscriptions. possibly a 100 to 200 to add from Bournemouth

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to