General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jparnell82
(newbie) Sun 21-Oct-12 20:06:01
Print Post

Hows a FTTC cabinets power connected up?

[link to this post]

Hi,
Just a quick question. All of the FTTC cabinets have been installed in Exmouth. I can see that they have they have made a trench to a nearby power supply (lamp post, illuminated sign etc) at each cabinet and then tarmaced it over. I have read several times that the power supply is the last thing to be connected up. So does this mean the power supply cable is ready in the cabinet to be connected given the trench is filled up with no obvious sign of connecting up at the other end? If that makes sense?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 21-Oct-12 20:22:49
Print Post

Re: Hows a FTTC cabinets power connected up?

[re: jparnell82] [link to this post]

the fibre cabinet has to le limnked to the current PCP (green Box) this usaully involves doning what you have said -- powe is thast thing that get done can be 33 -4 months after the cab is stood depending on what power suplly is avaialbe and what they find
Standard User asbokid
(member) Sun 21-Oct-12 21:33:40
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I've got a spare keyboard if you want it!

cheers, a

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 22-Oct-12 09:07:22
Print Post

Perhaps the power cable is laid but terminated at each end last, or they lay a duct with a rope in it then pull the cable through when it's time to connect.

I've seen cabs with power but no fibre walking past on the pavement, so the premise may be flawed.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User Bob_s2
(committed) Mon 22-Oct-12 11:38:38
Print Post

THere is no real reason as to why power cannot be connected at any time once the cabinet is there.
Standard User jparnell82
(newbie) Mon 22-Oct-12 13:30:05
Print Post

[re: Bob_s2] [link to this post]

interesting. To me it looks like each cabinet has a connection to the PCP via a chamber located near to it (i can see where they have dug a trench and then filled it) and also a seperate connection to power where i can see a filled trench in the tarmac. Im guessing in that case power has been connected up and BT just therefore need to come along and install and configure the equipment and then flick the switch in the cabinet. What could possibly go wrong?
Standard User izools
(experienced) Mon 22-Oct-12 14:01:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by jparnell82:
interesting. To me it looks like each cabinet has a connection to the PCP via a chamber located near to it (i can see where they have dug a trench and then filled it) and also a seperate connection to power where i can see a filled trench in the tarmac. Im guessing in that case power has been connected up and BT just therefore need to come along and install and configure the equipment and then flick the switch in the cabinet. What could possibly go wrong?

There's no way for us to know at this point. They may have connected fibre between the cab and exchange, they may not.

They may have run the connecting cables to the power and PCP, or they may have just laid duct.

Also, the exchange will only go live once at least ten cabinets have had their fibre, power, and tie pairs connected (or thereabouts).

Unfortunately it really is going to be a "suck it and see" with regards to when you'll go live. It was around six months between my cab appearing on the street and it going live in Exeter.

(knowledge is power) Mon 22-Oct-12 15:27:44
Print Post

[re: izools] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by izools:
Also, the exchange will only go live once at least ten cabinets have had their fibre, power, and tie pairs connected (or thereabouts).

Maybe be the case where you are, but i can assure you that is a myth here, only 2 cabs live and exchange is marked as accepting orders, As for the cabs having power connected, Again this with differ probably down to which company is installing the cabs or if they employ someone who is trained up and able to make a new connection

Here,the only thing left out is the fibre from exchange for my cabs and quite a few others around here, possibly all that are not completed, All because the plonker's failed to carry out the needed duct unblocking laying several months ago when they first got listed on my councils road works web pages and some are only being done or listed as being now, what a shambles

Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Mon 22-Oct-12 15:49:53
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

The ten cabs thing is a myth, only 5 went live here first.

Standard User jparnell82
(newbie) Mon 22-Oct-12 20:14:01
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

interesting, how did you find out it was only 5 and did you find out which ones?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to