General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User lensmann
(newbie) Sun 21-Oct-12 23:39:59
Print Post

BT Wholesale Checker and phone numbers

[link to this post]

Hi all,

My exchange (NEPH) is on BT's fibre rollout list, with a forecast date of December 2012 (having slipped slowly from the original forecast date of December 2011). BT Wholesale's broadband availability checker reports that my cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 31st December 2012 if I enter my postcode in the postcode checker, but not if I put my telephone number into the telephone number checker. I find this a bit puzzling. There is only one cabinet in the village, which has been upgraded, and the exchange is on the other side of the Tyne so it's pretty unlikely that my line is exchange only. The cabinet is just round the corner from my house and I'm not at the edge of the village, so I don't think it's likely to be line length either.

I switched to BT around six weeks ago just so I'd get fibre as soon as it became available, so this is a bit worrying! Is this likely to just be a bug in the checker, or might there actually be some reason why I can't get fibre broadband?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 21-Oct-12 23:50:00
Print Post

Re: BT Wholesale Checker and phone numbers

[re: lensmann] [link to this post]

There are three entry methods. Phone number, address inc postcode, and postcode. What does the address one say?

Who was your phone line with before?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.4/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User lensmann
(newbie) Sun 21-Oct-12 23:55:42
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The address checker gives me the same answer as the postcode checker - that my cabinet is scheduled to have FTTC by 31 December 2012. My phone line was with Sky earlier.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 21-Oct-12 23:58:06
Print Post

Sky LLU? Or Sky Wholesale Line Rental?

WLR should have been OK. LLU might explain the problem, though there shouldn't be one. Did the number change when you moved? Did it all go smoothly?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.4/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User lensmann
(newbie) Mon 22-Oct-12 00:12:13
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Sky LLU. The move went smoothly (a downtime of about 20 minutes). The number didn't change.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Mon 22-Oct-12 00:21:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by lensmann:
Hi all,

My exchange (NEPH) is on BT's fibre rollout list, with a forecast date of December 2012 (having slipped slowly from the original forecast date of December 2011). BT Wholesale's broadband availability checker reports that my cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 31st December 2012 if I enter my postcode in the postcode checker, but not if I put my telephone number into the telephone number checker. I find this a bit puzzling. There is only one cabinet in the village, which has been upgraded, and the exchange is on the other side of the Tyne so it's pretty unlikely that my line is exchange only. The cabinet is just round the corner from my house and I'm not at the edge of the village, so I don't think it's likely to be line length either.

I switched to BT around six weeks ago just so I'd get fibre as soon as it became available, so this is a bit worrying! Is this likely to just be a bug in the checker, or might there actually be some reason why I can't get fibre broadband?
I came across the exact same thing with the checker Post code showed a speed estimate and date for FTTC and phone number did not, My phone line is with BT ,Once this date has passed the checker will no longer show any info regarding FTTC unless your cab is accepting orders

Standard User Bob_s2
(committed) Mon 22-Oct-12 10:53:24
Print Post

Generally the BT checker does not seem to recognise Sky LLU lines at all either by address or phone number.
Standard User kitcat
(member) Mon 22-Oct-12 13:09:35
Print Post

Lensmann

Was your number originally with BT and ported to Sky or was it allocated by Sky as a new line.

If the latter, it may not appear on BT Wholesale's systems as it won't be in a range 'owned' by BT. It 'should' appear in BT Retails systems IF they are supplying your service now.

If BT Retail you could see if you can get Infinity this would say whether you could get FTTC.

If via a different supplier the number would only show in their systems as you have ported to them.

If it was originally a BT number it should show in BT records.

You can check your number to see who owns the range at. http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/numbering/index.htm#g...
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 22-Oct-12 21:17:14
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

You want to my Exchange. The bt wholesale postcode search denies fttc altogether.

Regards

Gareth
Standard User lensmann
(newbie) Tue 23-Oct-12 23:42:59
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kitcat:
Was your number originally with BT and ported to Sky or was it allocated by Sky as a new line. If the latter, it may not appear on BT Wholesale's systems as it won't be in a range 'owned' by BT.

AHA! That explains it perfectly. Thank you for the explanation - and also to everyone else who responded.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to