General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Stoo
(regular) Thu 25-Oct-12 18:02:36
Print Post

Fibre Checker Oddness

[link to this post]

I've been told by Openreach that my cabinet should be accepting orders about now (I was told two weeks about 3 weeks ago), and I've just checked, and the wholesale checker is now showing the following for my phone line:

Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 31st December 2012. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 69.2Mbps and upstream line speed of 20Mbps.

Note the italics - it says the line currently supports, but the cab isn't enabled yet? I can't order from any ISP yet as it throws the 31st December bit at me, but surely the second part means it actually is?

Database glitch, or ???

Edited by Stoo (Thu 25-Oct-12 18:03:25)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 25-Oct-12 18:51:07
Print Post

Re: Fibre Checker Oddness

[re: Stoo] [link to this post]

Just a confusing use of language on the checker site that has never been changed.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Stoo
(regular) Thu 25-Oct-12 19:17:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

So what does it actually mean?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User iwish
(committed) Thu 25-Oct-12 20:45:57
Print Post

it means Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 31st December 2012 and they think u will get 69.2 down and 20 up when it is ready for you to order
Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Fri 26-Oct-12 15:28:15
Print Post

The italicised bit will be the only part that remains once the cabinet goes live - with no change to the words. The presence of the first sentence means it isn't live yet.

The actual date given in the first sentence is also a misnomer. A date at the end of a quarter is only a placeholder, to show that BT are targetting a date of sometime in the quarter. It is unlikely to be actually that date - and much, much, more likely to change to something else a couple of weeks before the real go-live date. However, if it still says that in mid December, then it is likely to change to 31st March first (as a new placeholder) before changing to the real date.

Unfortunately, some people (an unlucky few) have seen these placeholders (and the quarterly changes) for over a year. Many more see a delay at least once.
Standard User Stoo
(regular) Sat 27-Oct-12 11:39:46
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Openreach have informed me that it will go live in the next week or so, but the language used is very ambiguous!

If something "Currently" supports X, that, in most uses of English means "Now". *Insert ramble regarding dropping standards here* wink
Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Sun 28-Oct-12 01:28:32
Print Post

I expect it is the result of some software outsourced to a place where English isn't a first language. It suggests that the acceptance testing isn't very particular though.

However, it has been consistent: the bad wording has been like that for as long as I've known it - near 2 years now.
Standard User Stoo
(regular) Wed 31-Oct-12 18:05:11
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Just had it confirmed with Openreach:

I’ve checked the details of EA/LOW 59. It looks like nearly all the work has been completed and it’s in commissioning phase.

If so and all goes well, it should be live to take orders next week.

Hopefully I'll be able to wave goodbye to the shoddy barely 2meg line I have at the moment next week and actually stand a chance of being able to use all of these fancy new media services I keep hearing about wink
Standard User boxst
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 31-Oct-12 22:12:02
Print Post

Mine basically says "We have no clue about your speed" smile They just dug up the area around the cabinet again to re-do the electrics but I'm hoping for a go live in a few weeks.

-=-=

Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 31st December 2012. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed between .1 to 80 Mbps and upstream line speed between .1 to 20 Mbps.

-=-=
Standard User Stoo
(regular) Wed 07-Nov-12 16:26:11
Print Post

[re: boxst] [link to this post]

Nice and vague!

I've just had confirmation from Openreach that EALOW Cab 59 is enabled and has port availability, trouble is, Zen's system can't place an order because the Openreach system is still showing 31st December..

Forwarded my email from OR to Zen to see if I can get some movement..
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to