General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User aavid60
(learned) Fri 26-Oct-12 12:23:08
Print Post

Where is Openreach rolling out to now?

[link to this post]

What is the point of Openreach publicising the exchanges that have just gone live.
To me this is a waste of time and just gets peoples backs up. We all know by now that only one or two cabinets will be live on that exchange and mainly in spitting distance of the exchange. What do they think they are achieving?, it may look good on their record as they can say we are on track in the number of exchanges going live but so frustrating for us who can not get any worth while connection speed.
Why can they not go into an area and complete the job, we all know that they will come accross some blocked ducts. In my area the ducts were inspected some 5 or 6 months ago so any problems were well known in advance of the suposed live date which was last September, now showing December for my cab even though the exchange is now accepting orders
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 26-Oct-12 12:41:36
Print Post

Re: Where is Openreach rolling out to now?

[re: aavid60] [link to this post]

today they working across the road from me.

My due date is 6 dec 2012 and now I seeing lots of activity again, new cabinets in place now.
Standard User aavid60
(learned) Fri 26-Oct-12 13:01:25
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Good luck. our cab has been there now for three months

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User greenglide
(committed) Fri 26-Oct-12 13:01:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by aavid60:
What is the point of Openreach publicising the exchanges that have just gone live.

So that people can know that the exchange is enabled? Would you rather that BT just kept quiet?

Once an exchange is enabled it seems sensible to adopt a phased rollout within the exchange to hanlde the volume of engineer installs, ramp-up backhaul etc.

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
Standard User aavid60
(learned) Fri 26-Oct-12 13:13:16
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

I agree about a phased roll out of cabs. Would it not be more sensible to enable those who have low speeds than those who live on top of the exchange and are getting fast connections anyway.
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Fri 26-Oct-12 13:29:39
Print Post

Simple geography really, the fibres have to pass the close cabinets to get to the further out ones, and being closer there is less chance of blockages, so naturally they are easier and quicker to enable. The further out the cabinet the higher the chance of blockages.

Edited by R0NSKI (Fri 26-Oct-12 13:33:11)

Standard User simon194
(member) Fri 26-Oct-12 14:35:33
Print Post

I agree about a phased roll out of cabs. Would it not be more sensible to enable those who have low speeds than those who live on top of the exchange and are getting fast connections anyway.

Round my way they did rollout in the slow, sub-0.5 Mbps, spots first probably because there has been a campaign running for several years to get faster broadband in those areas.
Standard User HarpingOn
(regular) Fri 26-Oct-12 14:42:31
Print Post

That's what really bugged me about our exchange. The people who were getting 10,11,12,13,14,15 Mbps from ADSL2 got the FTTC service first, and those of us on flakey 0.5Mbps lines haven't (yet) been upgraded.

It's always wise to remember:

"To those that have shall be given more, to those that have not what little they do have shall be taken away".

Personally, my installation is finally due on Wednesday ... smile
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Oct-12 16:10:28
Print Post

[re: HarpingOn] [link to this post]

Their so called phased roll out of FTTC here was enable the cabs where VM cable services are only so far, Do BT actually think they will get a good take up in those areas? And 1 FTTC cab is probably as far from the exchange you could be
After all info disappearing regarding the date for my local cab from the bt checker, i noticed it has returned (with a place holder date of 31 Dec 12) which is more lies
but only if i enter post code ,So chances are it will be next year,maybe

There was some NGA related work listed on the local street works, close to my home, but that mysteriously vanished on the date it was supposed to start (work not carried out)

Edited by tommy45 (Fri 26-Oct-12 17:11:42)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 26-Oct-12 19:30:53
Print Post

[re: HarpingOn] [link to this post]

Density of properties on each cabinet is the key and it may be that the furthest out cabinets are under 200 properties per cabinet

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to