General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Sun 28-Oct-12 19:15:53
Print Post

What's caused this?

[link to this post]

Hi there

I've always had a line of 79999 down and 19999 up without an issue.

A few weeks back the woman of the house connected the fibre via a 20m rj11 cable and the speed dropped to 72000 ish...

Anyway, connected it back via the short rj11 cable. Around 15 days later I rebooted and I was back at 79999 and 19999 up..

Last night I rebooted the modem and router by accident.
It rebooted but at a much slower speed.
Line rate (kbit/s) 61081 18999

Here's a screenshot of the modem
http://s12.postimage.org/i5hqkgzr1/Screen_Shot_2012_...

& the sky router
http://s8.postimage.org/fw9a7mvd1/Screen_Shot_2012_1...

I just don't understand why. My pings have also shot up from 5ms to 30 +
It's really annoying.

I'm connected as I should be and I haven't been having drop outs or anything. How do I resolve it too? I'm assuming just leave it connected but not sure how long.

My setup is as follows. In this property it's a complete new line (paid for this as I had lots of jelly crimps etc) - master - pre filtered socket - CAT5E RJ11 cable that's 2m long - modem - router.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sun 28-Oct-12 19:22:59)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 28-Oct-12 20:56:50
Print Post

Re: What's caused this?

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

What time of night?

It seems to make little difference on my line, but maybe that's an exception and a daytime reboot of the modem might help.

Did you only do one reboot, and in what sequence? What was the "accident", turning the power off? All info potentially helps smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.4/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Sun 28-Oct-12 21:01:14
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It must have been around 3:30am. It was a late one. It reconnected with an SNR of 12.1db which I found weird. It's normally around 8db and full sync up and down.

There was 1 trip of the power. Plugged in an electric heater and everything tripped...
Unplugged heater turned things back on.

At this point on a reboot this massive drop had occurred.

I do have a little bit of excess RJ11 cable but nothing significant. Surely the modem would show some errors too if there was anything major.

EDIT: I've been considering buying a new RJ11 cable but I don't see what's wrong with the current one. I'm not seeing any errors or anything.
1 thing I have noticed is that the attainable was slightly higher before in the modem

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sun 28-Oct-12 21:02:22)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User hoopla
(member) Sun 28-Oct-12 21:06:40
Print Post

What I would do is to switch off the router, then switch off the fibre modem.

Unplug all phone devices and anything else except the fibre modem from the phone line. Make sure that phone cables don't pass near a PSU or wall-wart adapter.

Switch the fibre modem on again. Give it a couple of minutes to sync and settle, then switch the router back on and give that some time to settle. Then after you have checked the speeds, plug any phones etc back in.

No guarantees any of this will help, but it might.
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Sun 28-Oct-12 21:45:31
Print Post

I don't want to take another risk. The system is being weird if you ask me. Something is not quite right.
I was probably up and running for a good few weeks before hand without a drop out. I don't disconnect overnight and it's plugged in behind a fridge and freezer (the router wire then runs up onto the kitchen counter).

So it's literally never turned off.

Annoyance. I'm going to give it 20 days and then turn everything off and on. Hopefully then it'll be at full speed again. Shouldn't be disconnected for a good few months then.

Good idea?

I'll ensure the modems actually held sync for 20 days before turning off and on too.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sun 28-Oct-12 21:45:52)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 28-Oct-12 22:16:20
Print Post

I would tend to have a go during daylight asap, then whatever the result leave it as you intend at the moment. I suggest you sequence what you do in the way hoopla describes - make sure the modem is sync'ed before turning on the router.

If that fixes it, all well and good. If it doesn't, then do it again after your 20 days.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Sun 28-Oct-12 22:17:23
Print Post

Ok cheers buddy.
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Mon 29-Oct-12 03:10:57
Print Post

I just rebooted. I know it's not daylight. Anyway the sync remained EXACTLY the same. So it's looking like the sync has been capped.

It didn't even sync with a common noise margin. The NM came in at 12.8db. Sync speeds down and up the same to the last digit.

I'll give it 20 days and see what happens.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Mon 29-Oct-12 04:32:20)

Standard User ionic
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 29-Oct-12 06:58:54
Print Post

A couple of thoughts: noise from a fan/motor in a heater in yours or a nearby property may be having an effect.if you were just switching on heaters, it's reasonable too assume your neighborswould be to.
More insidiously, the sudden spikes from the power trip may have damaged another appliance, causing it to emit more noise. I would suspect the compressor in three freezer if your calling runs particularly close to that
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 29-Oct-12 07:29:42
Print Post

That sort of effect on the noise margin was what I was looking for, if it wasn't a one-off blip. Just have to wait now and see if it auto-corrects. Let us know smile - how OR banding works is part of a learning curve for us all.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to