General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Memphis
(member) Fri 02-Nov-12 19:50:01
Print Post

Delay between cabinet install and order acceptance?

[link to this post]

Hi, my local exchange in Chislehurst has been fibre enabled for some time but the install rate for cabs was v. slow due to it being a conservation area and Openreach not doing too well with the local planning department.

About a month or so ago, an FTTC cab appeared at the corner of our road with the sticker proclaiming "Faster broadband here" or something similar (powered from cab P25 where our line goes). However, the wholesale checker is still claiming an availability date of 31st December 2012.

Is it normal for a significant delay between cab installation and it going live for order acceptance, or have OpenReach just not updated their system yet? The relevant postcode is BR7 5ES if that's any help.

Any and all suggestions would be welcome.

--
"All that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream" - Propaganda

Edited by Memphis (Fri 02-Nov-12 19:53:06)

Standard User simon194
(committed) Fri 02-Nov-12 21:31:10
Print Post

Re: Delay between cabinet install and order acceptance?

[re: Memphis] [link to this post]

Round my way there are a couple of cabinets that were installed back in July that still aren't live although one of them is having the power connected next week apparently.

Annoyingly the other one is the one that supplies the house I'm moving to in a couple of weeks time and BT phone number checker doesn't even give a date for FTTC availability yet.
Standard User benbird7
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 03-Nov-12 15:52:43
Print Post

When the new fttc cabs first went in, it was about 6 months until I could order it. Just a waiting game I did speak to an openreach engineer working in one of the cabs for a heads up when it would be going live, fortunately within a week or two, he was right.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Memphis
(member) Wed 21-Nov-12 22:45:05
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

So within the last fortnight or so, the cab has had some more work going on, this time the "contact us" boards around it implied that power was being connected to the cab. Yay! smile

However, the checker on this page tells me that:

We're sorry that the work we are doing to bring fibre broadband to your area is taking longer than first planned. This can be for many reasons that include blocked underground cable routes, issues with providing electrical power to the cabinet and issues with the cabinetís location. Please bear with us while we work to resolve this which may take some time. We will continue to work on this and apologise for any inconvenience this has caused.

Aside from the fact that the checker shows the cab location in the wrong street (always impressed by how a company can get something so basic wrong), if the power has already been hooked up, what would be left for them to do? Would the fibre already have been run or is it likely that this still has to be done and the cab fully comissioned?

--
"All that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream" - Propaganda
Standard User Bob_s2
(committed) Wed 21-Nov-12 22:57:41
Print Post

The cabinets are staged at the Factory so there should be very little commisioning to do just some basic checks to ensure it has survived the journey and the power is connected etc. Half a days work at most
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 21-Nov-12 23:00:37
Print Post

[re: Bob_s2] [link to this post]

I've asked before for a link to some official documentation saying that, but you didn't produce. Are you sure it isn't just an idea that seems logical to you?

It certainly took more than half a day to commission every cabinet I saw being installed here.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.5/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 21-Nov-12 23:01:01)

Standard User Ribble
(committed) Thu 22-Nov-12 08:46:20
Print Post

I believe there is an issue with the power installation at this cabinet, which i understand is an earthing issue, which is delaying its integration.

Edited by Ribble (Thu 22-Nov-12 08:49:59)

Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Fri 23-Nov-12 15:25:25
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

That was an issue I saw recently too - It could have been that an area that was mainly granite was hard to get a good earth from, conductivity-wise.

I think that was a reason for having the conductive cement for the base - it gives a much larger contact area.
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Fri 23-Nov-12 15:46:00
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Loads of our cabinets have required extra earth rods according to the work permits, we're just soil and chalk around here, perhaps the odd patch of Clay.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 23-Nov-12 16:16:28
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I thought it was just crane off lorry, 3 bolts and a couple of wires and it would be ready to provide 100's of FTTC connections?

BTW it is a Friday

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to