General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User AndrewUK
(committed) Sun 04-Nov-12 16:57:10
Print Post

Openreach fibre modem IP address

[link to this post]

Hi all
Bit of a noob question I'm sure but I'm having infinity installed this coming Friday and as soon as the engineer has gone I will be ripping out the HH3 and putting my own router in so I want to know if I need to change it's default IP address to make sure it's different from the OR modem.

My current router uses 192.168.1.1 as it's IP. Is that gonna conflict with the OR modem?
I also have a NAS on 192.168.1.2 and a couple of media boxes using static IPs aswell. The rest of my network is just DHCP, which I assume is handled by the router and not the modem anyway.

Cheers!

--
Andrew
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sun 04-Nov-12 17:07:16
Print Post

Re: Openreach fibre modem IP address

[re: AndrewUK] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AndrewUK:
Bit of a noob question I'm sure but I'm having infinity installed this coming Friday and as soon as the engineer has gone I will be ripping out the HH3 and putting my own router in so I want to know if I need to change it's default IP address to make sure it's different from the OR modem.

The modem doesn't have an IP address unless you unlock it (Huawei HG612 can be easily unlocked but ECI is harder). If you do unlock then you can change the IP to anything you like (I did) which lets you look at the stats.

Don't touch the modem (don't even power it off) for at least 3 days after your install. You can play with the router/home hub.

Your own router will need to support PPPoE on an ethernet port but then you can get rid of the HomeHub3 - I swapped in my Draytek 2820Vn without any problem.

If you get faster than 45megabit then some older routers can't handle the speed and slow you down - so make sure you run speed tests from a PC connected to the HomeHub before you swap out.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 04-Nov-12 17:10:48
Print Post

Yes there will be a conflict. The OR modem (at least the Huawei HG6120) is set at 192.168.1.1. I expect the ECI one is as well, as the same Home Hub is used.

IIRC the Home Hub is set to 192.168.1.254, so if you change yours to that you should be OK.

You are correct that the OR modem does act as a simple modem, although it is in fact a modem/router that can be unlocked and some even use it as a two-port router.

I suggest you do not mess with the modem itself during the first two days, as the Openreach DLM is watching it more closely than normal for stability during them.

(Edit - and stop yours allocating 192.168.1.1. But I expect you already have it set to 192.168.1.3 upwards).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 52.9/14.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 04-Nov-12 17:14:42)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User think26872
(committed) Mon 05-Nov-12 20:53:18
Print Post

Does anyone know if you have to use the HH3 at all - can't you just connect the Fibre Modem straight away to your equipment?

Thanks
Standard User ajs1984
(newbie) Mon 05-Nov-12 21:05:11
Print Post

[re: think26872] [link to this post]

You don't need to use the hh3. Windows and Linux have built in PPPoE (Windows calls it a "broadband connection").

You can use the username bthomehub@btinternet.com and leave the password blank (if you can't leave it blank, it'll accept anything).
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 05-Nov-12 21:06:15
Print Post

[re: think26872] [link to this post]

Yes you can, you just need a pppoe session to establish a connection.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User AndrewUK
(committed) Thu 08-Nov-12 13:05:32
Print Post

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'll post back with the results tomorrow when it's hopefully all up and running!

--
Andrew
Standard User AndrewUK
(committed) Fri 09-Nov-12 10:59:22
Print Post

Well Openreach guy has just left. I was impressed with him, quite a young fella but very enthusiastic and seemed interested when I was asking him about the tech etc!

Anyway got the full 80/20 sync and he showed me on his test gadget the max attainable rate was 117mbps down and 45mbps up! Pretty happy with that. This was even using the old figure of 8 drop wire which isn't even twisted pair so that's a relief.

I don't have any other line stats unfortunately and he supplied an ECI modem so no easy hacking for me frown

Anyway I'm going to just leave it alone for the training period.

Here's the obligatory speed test!
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2296162321.png

--
Andrew
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 09-Nov-12 11:04:31
Print Post

The old wire is probably thicker copper, so what you lose due to possible noise pickup you gain in lower attenuation.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 09-Nov-12 11:21:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by AndrewUK:
Anyway got the full 80/20 sync and he showed me on his test gadget the max attainable rate was 117mbps down and 45mbps up! Pretty happy with that. This was even using the old figure of 8 drop wire which isn't even twisted pair so that's a relief.

It will be interesting to see what the speedtest results are like over night. The figure of 8 wire will act as a wonderful aerial for background noise.

It is a pity that you did not mention it before or I would have asked you to run RouterStats and see what the SNR swing was from day to night.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to