General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband


Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.


Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User pstones578
(learned) Thu 08-Nov-12 12:02:13
Print Post

Will I ever get Fibre? :-( Exchange enabled but cant get it


[link to this post]
 
My exchange has been enabled for ages. I am in Bolton on the LCBOL exchange which is fibre enabled. I wish there was some way of finding out if I will ever be able to get fibre as I'm always wondering/wishing.

Is there anyone who can help me please?
Standard User pete_thomson
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 08-Nov-12 12:21:49
Print Post

Re: Will I ever get Fibre? :-( Exchange enabled but cant ge


[re: pstones578] [link to this post]
 
Do you have a cab (you might have an EO line)
Have you located your your cab?
Have you checked to see which phase your cab is in?
If it's the current phase has the DSLAM cab been installed near it?
If it's there, does it appear to be running?

Was
Virgin Media 50Mb/s
53.34Mb/s - 1.65Mb/s - 29ms @ 24/05/2011
http://speedtest.net/result/1310626245.png

Now
Andrews & Arnold
2.91Mb/s - 0.89Mb/s - 18ms and getting worse frown
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2175310790.png
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Thu 08-Nov-12 13:22:05
Print Post

Re: Will I ever get Fibre? :-( Exchange enabled but cant ge


[re: pstones578] [link to this post]
 
Try you're postcode in this checker

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre/checker.php

Bare in mind the data it's based on is a year old.


Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 08-Nov-12 13:34:20
Print Post

Re: Will I ever get Fibre? :-( Exchange enabled but cant ge


[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]
 
If it is showing exchange only that data should still be relevant, and I also have tried to integrate some of the newer data, hence the two sets of results.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Thu 08-Nov-12 15:33:16
Print Post

Re: Will I ever get Fibre? :-( Exchange enabled but cant ge


[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]
 
As should the pcp number if he's on a cabinet, it's just whether he'll get fibre or not that could of changed.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 08-Nov-12 17:09:59
Print Post

Re: Will I ever get Fibre? :-( Exchange enabled but cant ge


[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]
 
The December 2011 spreadsheets did not include anything like all the exchanges - i.e.all those announced later. SO the OP's postcode may simply not be there.

Although Andrew has made a stab at integrating the later exchanges, he has no cabinet info for them.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.5/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User pstones578
(learned) Thu 08-Nov-12 20:45:46
Print Post

Re: Will I ever get Fibre? :-( Exchange enabled but cant ge


[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]
 
There is a 90% chance I am in cabinet P128 and a 9% chance I'm in the exchange, 1% chance of neither of these two apparently. P128 is not in a phase, no data available. God knows where that leaves me.
Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Thu 08-Nov-12 21:40:41
Print Post

Re: Will I ever get Fibre? :-( Exchange enabled but cant ge


[re: pstones578] [link to this post]
 
The 1% is a rounding error from the spreadsheet, the spreadsheet was from December 2011 and since then their have been more recent versions released with each new announcement, none of these have been leaked.

Its possible that your cabinet could be part of a future phase, Openreach are known to return to areas and infill where the rollout had initially passed.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 08-Nov-12 23:10:06
Print Post

Re: Will I ever get Fibre? :-( Exchange enabled but cant ge


[re: pstones578] [link to this post]
 
Find cab 128 and see if there are any signs of FTTC work. These pics may help, if you are familiar with what to look for. Especially in distinguishing from VM. One trick is the numbering - BT PCPs are 3 digits or fewer numbers, VM are long.

Assuming you are not on VM cable or full LLU phone at the moment, this checker, using your phone number is the best available. If your phone number is cable or LLU, then the address might be OK. The postcode will be useless as you have already established the result would be uncertain.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.5/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Bob_s2
(committed) Fri 09-Nov-12 08:36:53
Print Post

Re: Will I ever get Fibre? :-( Exchange enabled but cant ge


[re: pstones578] [link to this post]
 
Does Cabinet P128 say it is Unplanned. If it does it is likely to be in the Commercial rollout.

As 9% of the lines are EO lines it is possible you are one of those. This means there is currently no known date for it.

To try to establish if you are an EO line the best bet is to try the Royal Mail Post Code checker. THis will list all the addresses on that Postcode. The chances are that the 9% will be at one end of the street.

You could also contact whoever is responsible for the BDUK rollout in your areas. Some are more helpful than others most will tell you whether you are in the assisted
rollout or not.

The other option is to contact BT giving them your phone number if a BT line or your house number and full postcode if not a BT line. In most cases they will them tell you if you are in the commercial rollout althouhgh BT beuing BT are not always consistant and in some cases do not give a specific answer.

Edited by Bob_s2 (Fri 09-Nov-12 09:45:10)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to