General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User loggie
(newbie) Fri 09-Nov-12 10:33:48
Print Post

why change to fibre?

[link to this post]

A very basic question. I currently have downlaod speeds of about 5.5mbs - I use less than 10gb download per month - I only stream music and TV catch up like bbciplayer.
So with all the hype of getting onto the fibre broadband bandwaggon, apart from faster download speed, what benifit would I get from switching to fibre? It will cost £12 per month extra!
Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 09-Nov-12 10:47:55
Print Post

Re: why change to fibre?

[re: loggie] [link to this post]

The extra speed may mean you have less buffering on iPlayer, particularly if playing HD content
Also line may be more stable.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 09-Nov-12 10:50:07
Print Post

You can get up to 20Mbps upload bandwidth, which means sending photos for processing is easier for example.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 09-Nov-12 11:00:34
Print Post

Buffering has been mentioned.

Do you have any problems like that, however small, with anything you do? Any instability on the conenction?

If not, save your money smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.5/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 09-Nov-12 11:02:09
Print Post

And - is there only you using it?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.5/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 09-Nov-12 11:18:28
Print Post

Provided you do not try to watch an HD film on BBCs iPlayer and download some images at the same time you should just about be OK.

The BBC recommendation is for a 3500 kbps connection to run HD. So you should not see any pauses whilst buffering - startup whilst it initially buffers some content will be a little slower but nothing significant or annoyingly noticeable.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/diagnostics is worth running to see what the results are.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Fri 09-Nov-12 15:41:55
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
The BBC recommendation is for a 3500 kbps connection to run HD. So you should not see any pauses whilst buffering - startup whilst it initially buffers some content will be a little slower but nothing significant or annoyingly noticeable.
But amazingly the Sky box manages 1.2GB an hour which is a tad under 700kb/s - and it looks very good. Pretty much broadcast quality. I don't normally use catch-up but have been playing with the Sky box recently and I'm astounded how good HD can look at low bit-rates.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he could. RIP.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 09-Nov-12 16:31:37
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Sky box on BBC iplayer 2.7GB for HD one hour, and certainly I do see films around that size.

Bit rates vary according to content, and I can tell difference if I look closely, but then used to write encoders so know where to spot flaws

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 09-Nov-12 16:46:31
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Bit rates vary according to content, and I can tell difference if I look closely, but then used to write encoders so know where to spot flaws

Youngster! I work on the design and development of a digital standards converter - PAL/SECAM/NTSC. Went from analog, to a series of digital frame stores and then back to analog again. And it was certainly not small.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 09-Nov-12 16:50:59
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

You've made my day

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to