General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Bigmonty
(newbie) Sat 10-Nov-12 15:02:36
Print Post

Cabinet help please

[link to this post]

Hi,

I my exchange has been enabled for a while but I have been unable to get Fibre as my cabinet (and various others around my area of town) was bypassed.

I randomly checked the Postcode checker today and saw that it now says the following:

£Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 31st December 2012. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed between 45.5 to 57.6 Mbps and upstream line speed between 8 to 20 Mbps."

I am aware that some people on this forum have access to slightly more data than is available on the post code checker. Could somebody please let me know if the above date looks like it will be accurate?

My post code is KY118GJ

Many thanks
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 10-Nov-12 17:36:01
Print Post

Re: Cabinet help please

[re: Bigmonty] [link to this post]

Looks like cabinet 86? Phase 9b so looks about right - but the only public data is dated December 2011.

What you have just posted is the best public guide to the state of things now, as it seems all lines at your postcode are on that cabinet. Don't be surprised if in the last week of December it changes to 31 March 2013.

Postcode checks are the worst option. If the checker won't accept your phone number, always use the full address, in case not all lines are on the same cabinet. (That's advice for anyone else in your position, and even for you as there may be errors in the December 11 data).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.5/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Bigmonty
(newbie) Sun 11-Nov-12 08:35:28
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks Roberto. I actually did put my whole address in like you suggest, I just worded my initial post badly.

To be honest if it slips to March 2013 then so be it. I am just happy that my cabinet is not one of those on an exchange which are "not commercially viable".

Cheers

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User iwish
(committed) Sun 11-Nov-12 14:31:23
Print Post

We have 3 phone cabinets in our village, all three had big holes next to them and 2 where filled with fibre cabs and one just got filled back in.
never get yur hopes up until you see the big green cab go in
Standard User Ribble
(committed) Sun 11-Nov-12 20:41:18
Print Post

[re: iwish] [link to this post]

never get yur hopes up until you see the big green cab go in

And very rarely a cabinet is fitted but never goes into service, eventually getting removed.
Standard User Bigmonty
(newbie) Sun 11-Nov-12 23:09:21
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies. My word it's all doom and gloom on this site wink

I have another question. I noticed on the roadworksscotland website that there are works scheduled by BT at 2 cabinets next to mine for this month. If it turns out that they are upgrading those cabinets what's the likelyhood that they'll finish the other ones in phase 9b or do BT just dart around the country randomly?
Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Mon 12-Nov-12 00:06:44
Print Post

Most cabinets have their FTTC twin enabled in the phases but delays caused by duct blockages and power issues etc do cause cabinets to slip by a few months or longer while the issues are sorted out.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Bigmonty
(newbie) Tue 13-Nov-12 13:49:15
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

Thought I'd share a reply I received today to an e-mail I sent to Openreach:

"Thank you for your email

Information about the commercial fibre project can be found on the rollout site :-
http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/

In your locality work is ongoing. Currently this is awaiting power and other works. The estimated date for Dunfermline cabinet 86 enablement is close March 2013 assuming there are no major issues.

Your Communications Provider (CP) is responsible for all aspects of your service including advising on the services they can supply at your address. Please contact your CP to register your interest so they are aware and can contact you at such time in the future as they have additional information."

So I guess what people were saying about the Dec 12 date getting put back is correct but hopefully it looks positive for getting FTTC within the next 6 months.
Standard User Bob_s2
(committed) Tue 13-Nov-12 14:33:51
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Quite why that haapens is difficult toimage. If they get as far as putting a cabinet in a lot of the costs would have been incurred. Even stranger is the practice BT have of installing the cabinett and then leaving it for several months as BT will have picked up most of tthe costs but will be getting no renues from it.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 13-Nov-12 14:45:08
Print Post

[re: Bob_s2] [link to this post]

Depends on whether its just the shell or it holds all the electronics and mains connected and fibre ducting in place and ducting to PSTN cab is present.

In short it depends on many variables - am sure that your csv takes these into account though

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to