General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Oddball
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 12-Nov-12 15:17:45
Print Post

Any FFTH provider that does not insist on line rental too?

[link to this post]

I need some recommendations for a FTTH provider that offers a better usage allowance each month than BT and their 40GB cap. Currently my parents use BT and pay £18 a month for 18 months (which should be up soon). However after suggesting moving to Sky I was met with stubbroness by my mother who refuses to move line rental away from BT (the usual stuff about she knows BT and does not like change. My mother refuses to pay her gas and electric by direct debit and pays cash each quarter etc to show how stubborn she is).

Are there any FTTH providers who do not insist on line rental, have a more generous usage allowance per month and costs around the same or perhaps a couple of quid more per month?

To be honest I don't understand why BT have not upped the allowance (they upped the upload speed after all) on the lower cost package. 40GB is well tight.

---
Rocking at 11-13mbps/1.2-1.4mbps on Be with a 38dB line smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 12-Nov-12 15:24:44
Print Post

Re: Any FFTH provider that does not insist on line rental to

[re: Oddball] [link to this post]

Do you really mean FTTH? As full fibre to the home is rare, and the Infinity 160 Meg product is unlimited.
Sky currently does not actually sell the FTTH service, the one it sells is FTTC.

Plusnet will work with your line rental via BT Retail and gives 250GB for £19.99 a month

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User greenglide
(committed) Mon 12-Nov-12 15:37:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by Oddball:
Ithat offers a better usage allowance each month than BT and their 40GB cap.

It isnt "a cap" it is part of the package purchased (assuming this is Infinity 1 FTTC ).

The Infinity 2 package is unlimited data but costs more.

PlusNET is a serious alternative at £19.5 for 250GB.

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oddball
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 12-Nov-12 15:41:33
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

Sorry I meant FTTC of course. I read PlusNET's packages but I thought it was also tied to line rental? If you can point me to the broadband only package with that usage allowance I'd be much obliged.

Oh and I forgot. 12 month contract preferable as they will be moving in around a years time (hopefully).

---

Edited by Oddball (Mon 12-Nov-12 15:45:13)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 12-Nov-12 15:44:51
Print Post

Scroll down the page with the bundles fibre and phone packages. Just below those is a blue clickable banner for fibre only. I'm on PN Extra Fibre and my line rental is with BT REtail.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.5/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Oddball
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 12-Nov-12 15:48:31
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Got it. Thanks. They want you for 18 months though. Plus they want a £50 installation fee. They already have an installation though. All they would need is the white VDSL router probably and that is on loan as the BT one would most likely go back so surely they would not need an installation done. Just swap routers?

---
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 12-Nov-12 15:52:51
Print Post

ISP to ISP migrations on FTTC are still fairly rare, and as a migration fee is charged Plusnet will probably charge a fee.

The extra costs are because the subsidy from call revenue is not going to them.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 12-Nov-12 16:04:24
Print Post

Openreach do charge ISPs a fair bit for fibre migrations, though I think it is less than an initial installation. There is no engineer visit.

You could look into TopCashBack and Quidco, or you could ring Plusnet and see what you can swing, tongue "on behalf of your parents who you can only just about persuade to move away from BT for the broadband and no chance for the line ..." tongue sort of thing. (With a cashback site as your falback option but don't tell them that).

You are correct about all you need to do is swap the router for the one Plusnet supply. (£4.99 postage).

I believe they get to keep the HH3. I don't know how easy it is to use it on other ISPs, but if at some stage you feel like setting it up on PN then you know you have a backup.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.5/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Oddball
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 12-Nov-12 16:10:06
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks. I just got my father to check when he got FTTH with BT and it was back in November 2010! So he already is 6 months past the initial 18 months contract. They have not received any letter saying their contract was up for renewal so my question is this. Can he now leave BT Infinity anytime he likes without penalty? Or have BT signed him into another year or 18 months contract without his knowledge?

---
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 12-Nov-12 16:23:51
Print Post

Auto renewing contracts were blocked by Ofcom, but a fair few people still agree to new ones without really realising it.

Should just be on the standard 30 day notice clause now though.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to