General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User GavinJenkins
(newbie) Mon 12-Nov-12 17:08:02
Print Post

Need new Fibre provider

[link to this post]

Fortunately my plusnet contract is comming to and end and its only going to cost me £12 if I end now. Personally I can't wait to get away!

The Fibre speeds have not seen anything more than 15Meg download and the tech support is useless, they have still not sent an engineer despite months of promises.

Not only that, but the download allowance is limiting enough to incurr extra charges for various addon's and £1 per GB. As a full house, everyone using iplayer and even my dad likes to catch up using the Wii! My allowance is closing in on 40gb every month and that is only because I'm constantly telling them off!

The other thing is that im constantly bombarded with calls about PPI and Insurance, they want me to buy a £4 a month product just to block them, and it doesn't work with the majority of the calls because they are all international!

So, I'm looking for a DECENT provider that has no usage restrictions, and has good customer care, and willing to help with nuiscance calls.

I have seen SKYs unlimited offer, but having seen my friends experiences with them, I want to look elsewhere if possible...

Based on the above, does anyone have suggestions or recomendations for a fibre internet provider?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 12-Nov-12 18:14:38
Print Post

Re: Need new Fibre provider

[re: GavinJenkins] [link to this post]

Your maximum acceptable spend per month for phone and broadband is what? I don't know about TalkTalk, but if they aren't unlimited your only other unlimited provider is BT Infinity. Good luck with the support there tongue, and with nuisance call blocking.

Incidentally, your existing 40GB (peak, unlimited off-peak) PN product can be upgraded to 250GB/unlimited for a mere £3.50pm over what you pay now.

What does this checker say about your phone number, and what does it say if you use the pure postcode checker option in it instead of the phone number?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.5/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 12-Nov-12 18:27:52
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Even where privacy services exist they generally only deal with UK based calls.

So International stuff would require you to have an International block put on the line.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kasg
(experienced) Mon 12-Nov-12 18:30:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by GavinJenkins:
... and the tech support is useless ...

I think you will find that most people will say Plusnet's tech support is better than most, certainly in anything like their price bracket. Have you posted about your problems in the Plusnet community forum, because they tend to jump on things fairly quickly?

Kevin

plusnet Extra Fibre (80/20)
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 12-Nov-12 18:35:30
Print Post

what was wrong with your friend's experience with sky?

to me they look the best of the bunch but whats scaring me of is that their new hub doesnt have a solid workaround yet to get the user/password so may be forced to use it.

I considered plusnet after rebortos's comments but I see the top FTTC package has lower priority for traffic than the old adsl pro package so plusnet not confident enough to give FTTC traffic a high banding and on top of that plusnet graphs seem to show peak time congestion issue still existing so that has scared me of plusnet.
(newbie) Mon 12-Nov-12 19:17:01
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
what was wrong with your friend's experience with sky?

Pretty much getting any sense out of them, especially with tech support always going to indian call centers and always having to go through the whole procedure of turning the modem off and on again when theres clearly a fault with their line.
I understand its needed to rule things out, but as a techie, shes already done all the fault checks and tried different computers etc... but the support cant seem to ever fathom things out...

Has this changed?
(newbie) Mon 12-Nov-12 19:20:44
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Its useless!
I call them up, or send them a ticket, they tell me to do line tests using the bt checker and go through the whole process of connecting the openreach modem directly to the PC and creating a new connection etc.

They confirm that theres a fault and then 'pass it on to the faults team' and they will be in touch. They only did so when I first joined them, and around xmas last year when I had a fault. They seem to have gone pretty bad over the summer months?
(newbie) Mon 12-Nov-12 19:27:26
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

250gb isn't unlimited when you have a whole family demanding 'on demand' =)
people wanting lovefilm, downloading games, watching tv and all the rest of it soon chews it up - or would do if I had a decent fibre speed wink

The checker says just over 18, but Ive had close to 30 in the past, so I know the line is more than capable.

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 1Mbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 2.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1.5Mbps and 5Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL2+ broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 1Mbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 3.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 2Mbps and 6Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 18.4Mbps and upstream line speed of 4.2Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

Furthermore your exchange has been enabled for multicast services on fibre lines, please contact your provider for further details.

If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the service you wish to purchase.

Thank you for your interest.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.
Note: If you already have a Broadband service and you want to switch service providers, you will need to contact both your current provider and your new provider to get your service changed over new and existing service provider to have this service transferred.

Also provision of some services may not be allowed due to product withdrawal, please contact your service provider for further details.
(newbie) Mon 12-Nov-12 19:29:16
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Does such a product exist with other providers? I'm failing to see one with plusnet
Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Tue 13-Nov-12 02:46:46
Print Post

You answered kasg's first question, but not the second.

If you want your speed issue sorting out, the best place to post about it is on Plusnet's own forum.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to