General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Ixel
(member) Fri 16-Nov-12 10:36:54
Print Post

[SDESTBR] Slow service on BT Infinity?

[link to this post]

Hi,
Is anyone here experiencing bad throughput or spiking pings this morning on Infinity? I'm lucky to get about 1 megabits down and 0.2 megabits up at the moment, with a ping to bbc.co.uk fluctuating between 9ms to nearly 1000ms at times.

I've checked the ECI modem connection info, all seems fine there (presuming it reports the right ES and such, which I don't think it does). Tried reconnecting both the modem and Business Hub 3, no difference.

My exchange is Eastbourne (SDESTBR). I'm lucky to get on any websites at the moment and have doubts this message will post on the forum, hopefully it will though.
Standard User StephenTodd
(committed) Fri 16-Nov-12 10:54:01
Print Post

Re: [SDESTBR] Slow service on BT Infinity?

[re: Ixel] [link to this post]

Fine here (Winchester). Normal steady pings (around 30ms to bbc; poor because of interleaving and BT's routes to London via Sheffield), normal speeds (65/15), and normal site loading.

--
Moved (with trepidation) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User Ixel
(member) Fri 16-Nov-12 11:24:04
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

https://www.bt.com/static/wa/consumerfaulttracking/e...

Looks like a fault in the BT network, estimated to be fixed within 3 working days though frown. I hope it doesn't take that long as a I rely on the internet for my work too.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 16-Nov-12 11:33:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ixel:
https://www.bt.com/static/wa/consumerfaulttracking/e...

Looks like a fault in the BT network, estimated to be fixed within 3 working days though frown. I hope it doesn't take that long as a I rely on the internet for my work too.

If you rely on it for work then why do you have a consumer product where the repair times are going to be days rather than hours. If you choose a basic service standard when it goes wrong you cannot expect enhanced response times.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Ixel
(member) Fri 16-Nov-12 12:02:28
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Although not a helpful reply, I accept that. If it had been residential I suppose it may have been longer to repair. Mind you, I didn't directly contact BT Business as my phone line is residential, so did the line test via the normal BT site. My Infinity service however is with BT Business in the event I need to speak to someone in the UK.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 16-Nov-12 12:25:27
Print Post

Actually my post has been helpful as you have said you are on a business service whereas your original post an image suggest otherwise.

Why not call the Infinity helpdesk and get them to sort it out and even if it is on the incoming "residential line" it will still be subject to the response times in your business broadband agreement.

M H C

Standard User Ixel
(member) Fri 16-Nov-12 12:37:31
Print Post

I see, sorry for the lack of clarification on the fact I'm business. I'll fetch the number, if my internet connection permits me, and give them a call. Thanks smile.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 16-Nov-12 12:50:04
Print Post

0800 169 3809

M H C

Standard User Ixel
(member) Fri 16-Nov-12 16:24:08
Print Post

Just an update to say that my connection, for the moment, now seems fine. Perhaps coincidental, but I changed from the ECI modem to the HG612 (although I'd prefer to run the ECI given the fact it seems to work better with the ECI cabinet, in other words usually puts me on interleaving depth of 1 which I'm currently on). I don't know if this is just purely lucky or whether the ECI modem has a problem. On the other hand, perhaps the Business Hub had a connection to a bad PoP?

Anyway, does anyone think I should close my open fault with bt.com or leave it to sort itself?
Standard User Ixel
(member) Tue 20-Nov-12 12:42:21
Print Post

Just an update to say that an engineer turned up unexpectedly this morning about 8:30am after putting an oscillator on the line (made us jump given the phones were constantly ringing lol). Although the problem disappeared on Friday afternoon he still said there was a fault which needs resolving. So after two hours of testing and searching he swapped the wires round in the cabinet and the battery contact problem of 50v~ reduced to to about 5v-12v. My attainable rate has shot up from about 82/27 to about 94/29.5 on the HG612.

Anyway, he tried to call the special place (service center?) for resetting the DLM profile but he had no success as he required an OGA number or something. He suggested since I'm on a business service that I should be able to call BT Business for a reset with little hassle. I'll call the helpdesk in a minute and see if I get much luck, and edit this post accordingly. Thanks MHC for the help given, after clearing up the small confusion over me not mentioning I was business and not home tongue.

Edit: No luck, as far as they're concerned I'm getting slightly above the minimum I was promised, although my line can do much better.

Edited by Ixel (Tue 20-Nov-12 13:23:09)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to