General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User dsch
(member) Fri 16-Nov-12 19:25:55
Print Post

Difference in Fibre Speeds

[link to this post]

I'm wondering how much difference there is in daily usage of practical speed terms between the two Infinity products, whether through BT or another provider. Is it worth, or necessary to spend the the extra few pounds? My intended use will be streaming iPlayer, etc. Although, at times, there will be more than one or two users online.

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 16-Nov-12 19:33:03
Print Post

Re: Difference in Fibre Speeds

[re: dsch] [link to this post]

A lot depends on the estimate for your line.

If its over 20 Mbps then no reason why it should not support three HD iPlayer streams at the same time

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 16-Nov-12 19:48:50
Print Post

[re: dsch] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dsch:
I'm wondering how much difference there is in daily usage of practical speed terms between the two Infinity products, whether through BT or another provider. Is it worth, or necessary to spend the the extra few pounds? My intended use will be streaming iPlayer, etc. Although, at times, there will be more than one or two users online.

The cheaper product (Option 1) isn't just slower it has limited usage. Option 2 is the unlimited usage, is also upto 76megabit.

Look up your own line on the BT Guesstimator first:
https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you go for another ISP such as Sky Fibre, the 40/10 service is £20 and the 80/20 is called Pro and £30.

There is also the openreach prioritisation difference but I don't think anyone notices this.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 20-Nov-12 13:16:36
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
There is also the openreach prioritisation difference but I don't think anyone notices this.
What Openreach prioritisation? The only one I know of is within a user's own available bandwidth, and can be set by the ISP, but does not give priority over any other user. Even if there is congestion within Openreach systems.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.5/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 20-Nov-12 14:00:13
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

80/20 in the GEA fibre gets a 30 Mbps reservation, and 40/10/2 gets a 15 Mbps one.

Contention in the backhaul segments is generally higher masking the effects of this I believe, but if going for a provider who charges more and has more WBC or LLU capacity you might notice it I guess.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to