General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User wkw198
(newbie) Sat 17-Nov-12 04:12:42
Print Post

BT / Plusnet will supply me FTTC but Talktalk not?

[link to this post]

having a bit of a disaster. been on an ISP that didnt offer a fibre service for a long time with a long ADSL line length and slow speed. after continually getting harassed by BT to get Infinity, but being told by work colleagues that talk talk was just as good and cheaper, checked that talktalk was available for my line and postcode and made an order. the sales person told me that i could not have fibre until basic ADSL from talktalk was installed and running. so let them take over the line and normal broadband (slower than my previous provider but still viable) is now running on the line ok. called again today (1 day after activation) to start the ball rolling for FTTC, now told no it is not available on my line after all. don't understand how it can be available from other providers but not talktalk, and annoyed that they were happy to take over the line one minute on the condition i woudl immediately upgrade it to fttc, but now say no.
can there be a logical reason for the turnaround? can anyone on here tell me if the FTTC cabinet is full already? my postcode is SK13 1BJ and my PSTN cabinet is the one at the top of "Waterside", from what I can gather the FTTC cabinet is just around the corner from there on Wooley Bridge Road. just can't understand how i) availability can "disappear" from one week to the next and ii) it is still available from other providers just not TalkTalk.
Standard User babis3g
(newbie) Sat 17-Nov-12 06:30:25
Print Post

Re: BT / Plusnet will supply me FTTC but Talktalk not?

[re: wkw198] [link to this post]

Is hard to say so wait till the experts will come on line later...
from a quick look the little i know at the moment ... no one can give you FTTC at this post code but again checking via just post code is not accurate
Also it may be a miss understanding at BT wholesale system checker and appear again FTTC info some time soon (that is why maybe one week appears ok and next week not)
You need go to this link
http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome
and use address checker (now you are with TT phone checker will not work)
Seems like you have near by cabinets but the one you are looks to me is very far because they can give you only 1-4 mbps speed and if you are indeed connected far then is very hard to move you at near one if this is the case (but i may be wrong so not panic wait till some experts reply you)
your cabinet is the P33 and seems it has FTTC but you need check regular times via that link with your address and see what speeds they quoting you
Good Luck

EDIT
i checked at TT checker at 1 & 29 victoria avenue (not all of them just the first and last number) and says can get fibre with estimate download speed 38mbps
here the TT checker to see your home address
https://sales.talktalk.co.uk/product/fibre
click the small pink tab where say can i get fibre?

Edited by babis3g (Sat 17-Nov-12 06:49:52)

Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Sat 17-Nov-12 09:54:22
Print Post

I can confirm (from Dec 2011 data) all lines in your address are supplied via cabinet {MRGLO}{P33}

I just checked every address in your postcode 1 - 26, no 23 or 25 appear to exist, they can all can get FTTC estimated at 38 to 42 Meg.

I think you're finding out why Talk Talk is best avoided - lousy customer services, I've got a mate with them and he had a problem - no broadband when he plugged the filter into the master socket as THEY told him to, he had to put it in the test socket, in the end they told him he had a line fault and he would need BT to visit, good job he asked me first, he had a filtered face plate! So didn't need to plug in filter.

My brother also had a nightmare time with them, although that was some time ago.

Best advice I can give, is to get out of the contract if you still can (cooling off period, lack of promised service?) and go with Plus Net.

Edited by R0NSKI (Sat 17-Nov-12 09:55:10)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 17-Nov-12 09:54:51
Print Post

If you entered the contract on the understanding FTTC was available, then a clear case of the contract being broken by them, it does not matter what the reason for FTTC not being available.

The key is what the address checker says EXACTLY. If TalkTalk LLU is available then FTTC should be available from them too, though if you are the first TalkTalk FTTC customer on the exchange it may be they have not ordered the £2000 link from the Openreach fibre to their hardware in the exchange. This sounds the most likely problem.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Sat 17-Nov-12 10:07:57
Print Post

This is a bit strange actually, your postcode puts you here (I've checked other maps as well), but both BT's data and the Royal Mail put your address as Victoria Avenue, but I don't see Victoria Avenue on the map.

The PCP at the end of Waterside is your cabinet

Are, it's OK,the road changes name part way along, but its not marked on the maps.

Edited by R0NSKI (Sat 17-Nov-12 10:10:07)

Standard User simon194
(committed) Sat 17-Nov-12 11:38:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The key is what the address checker says EXACTLY. If TalkTalk LLU is available then FTTC should be available from them too,

It isn't alway the case though. There's been TT LLU for years round my way but you can still only register interest for their fibre products and it's been 6 months since fibre was rolled out.
Standard User babis3g
(newbie) Sat 17-Nov-12 11:43:59
Print Post

Well maybe the name street has renamed and the maps still have old info???
How ever checking (this time) the address checker from BT wholesale it says there is FTTC so yes you can have

If this is the correct address we are looking for, then i will suggest as TT customer my self to give them a call one more time and tell them their checker quoting fibre speeds
Standard User babis3g
(newbie) Sat 17-Nov-12 11:52:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
though if you are the first TalkTalk FTTC customer on the exchange it may be they have not ordered the £2000 link from the Openreach fibre to their hardware in the exchange. This sounds the most likely problem.

Hmmm this can be true...they tried to foolish me after moving house(long story & may say it other time but NO problem with the service)
They may think ok get him as customer and if few appears around that area in future we will give fibre & pay that 2000£
But lets see what the member will say after contact them again (sorry guys but i am curious as TT customer)

Edited by babis3g (Sat 17-Nov-12 11:54:26)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 17-Nov-12 15:42:38
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

Note my use of the word should, rather than IS

Should leave a little room for doubt

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User wkw198
(newbie) Sat 17-Nov-12 17:15:05
Print Post

to make it even better, if you use talktalks checker but WITHOUT providing a telephone number (first hit the link for "i dont have a telephone number or i'm not with bt, so you can enter just a postcode) just my address including house number, it comes back YES YOU CAN HAVE FIBRE. but if you include my telephone number, which IS now already transitioned to talktalk, it says no you cant.

so somewhere along the line they are pulling a scam. waiting to hear back from the "office of the CEO" now (promised a response within 5 days. famous last words). i intend to be as public as possible about my issue until they explain themselves.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to