General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jdowning640
(committed) Sat 17-Nov-12 04:29:18
Print Post

What happens those too far from cab?

[link to this post]

Hi guys,

I was just wondering what could be the future for 'fibre' broadband for those that live around 2 miles from the cabinet which is enabled & can't receive a FTTC connection.

Is it possible for BT to put a cabinet closer to peoples homes / businesses and reconnect their lines to this cabinet? What else could they do?

Thanks

Jack
Standard User Bob_s2
(committed) Sat 17-Nov-12 08:23:01
Print Post

Re: What happens those too far from cab?

[re: jdowning640] [link to this post]

BT will probably do nothing commercialy. BDUK may do something if you get less than 2Mbs. They would probably use wireless
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Sat 17-Nov-12 09:40:08
Print Post

Next year there should be the option of FTTP on demand, although from what I've read on forums costs could be anywhere between £500 to £1500, but they are only guesses. No one really knows how the distance would affect price either, but it's not expected that the first person pays the full cost then the neighbour gets it cheaper, prices are expected to be levelled somehow.

In reality it's likely to be too expensive for the majority frown

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 17-Nov-12 09:50:14
Print Post

A lot depends on what speeds you get now, and if that means work is needed to get you 2 Mbps then it is possible FTTC might provide that at this distance, or a regenerator be fitted to the loop to boost the ADSL2+

Regenerators are more the way BT is going than BET which has largely been sidelined now.

Wireless as in 4G may be an option used. It is very much a case of what the council decides and what BT if their are the contractor in that area offer. Some areas are using satellite to hit the 2 Mbps target.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User CurlyWhirly
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-Nov-12 12:19:29
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Regenerators are more the way BT is going than BET which has largely been sidelined now.

What is BET ?
(committed) Sat 17-Nov-12 14:09:44
Print Post

Hi there guys,

I know that the speeds I get aren't as bad as what other people get, we currently get around 7Mbps here on ADSL2+.

The exchange is around 2.1 miles down the road & we are 2.0 miles to the exchange (both right beside each other).

I have a business here and we use around 250GB (no very heavy downloads) and it runs a bit slow at times when the network is a bit congested. Full gigabit networks internally though.

I believe that there are some counties which are more keen to get 'fibred' up more than others. For example, in Northern Ireland, I believe every single FTTC cabinet has been enabled. I live in NI but am not entirely sure whether and when they will increase that USC.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 17-Nov-12 15:40:09
Print Post

[re: CurlyWhirly] [link to this post]

Broadband Extension Technology

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 17-Nov-12 15:40:57
Print Post

So your cabinet is right outside the exchange?

(committed) Sat 17-Nov-12 15:42:56
Print Post

Yup - only about a 6 metre walk from cabinet to exchange.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 17-Nov-12 15:46:11
Print Post

Was just checking, as some people get confused between exchange building and green street cabs.

At 7 Mbps I doubt anyone will be rushing to do much to improve things on the line for a few years. Fibre on Demand when it comes may be best bet, but expensive for you.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to