General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User NGA
(newbie) Sun 18-Nov-12 14:35:22
Print Post

FTTC Rollout - WIDNES (LVWID)

[link to this post]

Hi,

My 1st post on 'Thinkbroadband', so hello from me! I thought I would register/start a thread to allow comments & feedback on the rollout of FTTC in my hometown of Widnes.

Here is what I know so far:

Openreach installed a large number of DSLAM cabinets across the town in the summer

The RFS date was set initially as 30th September, but around mid September, slipped to 31st December

The exchange started accepting orders on 16th October, but only a small amount of cabinets were live/accepting orders on this date

My own cabinet (PCP76) is not yet live & now has a 'Yellow Pin' against it on the Openreach 'Where & When' website, along with a comment that it is taking longer than planned to get the cabinet ready for service. The other 'non live' cabinets have the 'Yellow Pin' & same comment.

Is there anyone else in Widnes who is monitoring the progress of the rollout? Does anyone know what the delay is for the cabinets not yet live? I suspect that the delay is with the Fibre spine?

Any information/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 18-Nov-12 16:04:02
Print Post

Re: FTTC Rollout - WIDNES (LVWID)

[re: NGA] [link to this post]

Firstly wellcome to the forum, I too am in a somewhat similar situation to yourself regarding the FTTC rollout, my cab has also a pushpin next to Which i'm thinking is going to be their next excuse for not enabling it ,

By regularly checking the local councils roadworks site ,i have seen they (BT openreach) have failed to carry out work as planned on a regular basis,
and therefore only recently completing work that should of been done some 3-6 mths ago,
But if VM cable was available to me here the cab would be by now live, because for some strange reason they think they will get a good take up in these areas ,lol no wonder they have been moaning about the lack of takeup, fools is what they are or rather their organ grinder is

Standard User NGA
(newbie) Tue 20-Nov-12 20:18:36
Print Post

Received an email from NGA Enquiries at Openreach today, with an update:

'I have been advised that we have been experiencing slight delays with our engineering work and the Council have also stipulated weekend working only. We are hopeful that the completion date for the rollout will be early in the new year, but we cannot guarantee this.'

Back in September, the same team informed me that there were no known problems with my cabinet & that they estimated the cabinet would be ready for service mid to late October, thus, I had been hoping to be connected before Christmas.

Despite being told that the council have stipulated weekend working only, I have seen large Openreach vehicles working in the town today (& other weekdays), so maybe there is still hope of my cabinet going live this side of Christmas.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User applemacster
(newbie) Thu 13-Dec-12 12:02:28
Print Post

Openreach looked as if they were trying to pull fibre through a few days at the Four Topped Oak and Upton Grange ends of Queensbury way. Surely they must have managed to get P76 working by now?!
Standard User applemacster
(newbie) Wed 19-Dec-12 14:54:47
Print Post

[re: applemacster] [link to this post]

Date on Openreach checker is now "by March 31st 2013", so it would seem that P76 is proving even more difficult to get sorted.
Standard User aavid60
(learned) Wed 19-Dec-12 15:32:51
Print Post

I also live in Widnes and like you have been monioring the FTTC roll out. I am on cab 24 and the date has slipped again (March 2013). I have come to the conclusion that there is no logic in the way BT work. The new FTTC cab has been there now for nearly 5 months, has power and i have been told that the fibre has recently been laid to it. So I can see no reasons why it can not be swithch on.
Standard User aavid60
(learned) Wed 19-Dec-12 19:40:04
Print Post

Just checked Halton Council road works web site, It shows one road dissruption for BT " Locate and excavate 1 blockage in existing BT duct, Liverpool road 18th Dec to 20th Dec". This I think is the main cable route back to the exchange. Could this be the hold up?.
Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Wed 19-Dec-12 20:12:10
Print Post

[re: aavid60] [link to this post]

It could well be, while power/fibre can be installed to cabinets if the main fibre spine is not connected and the exchange is not ready the cabs cannot go live.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Wed 19-Dec-12 20:18:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by NGA:
Received an email from NGA Enquiries at Openreach today, with an update:

'I have been advised that we have been experiencing slight delays with our engineering work and the Council have also stipulated weekend working only. We are hopeful that the completion date for the rollout will be early in the new year, but we cannot guarantee this.'

Back in September, the same team informed me that there were no known problems with my cabinet & that they estimated the cabinet would be ready for service mid to late October, thus, I had been hoping to be connected before Christmas.

Despite being told that the council have stipulated weekend working only, I have seen large Openreach vehicles working in the town today (& other weekdays), so maybe there is still hope of my cabinet going live this side of Christmas.

Although in a different part of the north west, they told a friend that they where told by the L.A, that they where restricted to working at night to put the fibre spine in to his cab,Thing is that who ever sent that e-mail didn't know that this was checked with the L.A and no such restrictions had been placed on OR in fact the work had not even been booked with them as far as they could tell, and then they wait until today to do what they do best, push the date back by 3 mths Maybe they will actually finish the job they started back in July 2012 by June 2013 or 14 perhaps
So the someone is telling porkies ,so maybe take the info supplied with a pinch of salt as they say,

Edited by tommy45 (Wed 19-Dec-12 20:21:29)

Standard User NGA
(newbie) Wed 19-Dec-12 23:15:10
Print Post

[re: aavid60] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by aavid60:
Just checked Halton Council road works web site, It shows one road dissruption for BT " Locate and excavate 1 blockage in existing BT duct, Liverpool road 18th Dec to 20th Dec". This I think is the main cable route back to the exchange. Could this be the hold up?.

Yes, I noticed this on the DirectGov roadworks site too. There have been a few instances of roadworks for BT to clear existing ducts over recent weeks, including other parts of Liverpool Road & on Prescot Road, in particular on the footpath alongside the bridge that crosses the railway line - I think the fibre spine would need to cross the bridge to reach cabinet 76? BT also erected a new telegraph pole close to PCP76 last week (just across the road from Lingwell Avenue) - could they now be resorting to bringing in the fibre spine overhead?

Last weekend, I noticed an Openreach engineer working on cabinet 76, so I asked him if he knew when fibre would be up & running - he looked confused & said he had no idea, but that 'they are rolling it out everywhere' . To be honest, I think I was probably more clued up on the rollout than he was!

RE the date on the Openreach site slipping to 31st March - don't be too disheartened, I assumed this would happen as we approached late December. The date is a quarterly placeholder & means very little.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to