General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User timl
(member) Mon 19-Nov-12 17:33:34
Print Post

How does FTTC get connected to individual subscriber line

[link to this post]

I was having a look at this picture of an FTTC cabinet and had some questions that someone will know something about.

On the photo I can see the fiber coming in from the bottom on the right hand part and being connected to the DSLAM in the left. Single fiber?

The gray cables coming in on the bottom right are, I assume, the phone lines coming in from the nearby CAB, which look like they're then connected individually for each subscriber on the right? Then this is all sent to the left hand part of the cabinet where the DSLAM is housed?

How the heck does the OpenReach engineer know which pair belongs to which property?

Can anyone enlighten me? I'm fascinated by this kind of stuff.

Thanks
Tim

Be 4.4Mb on 62db!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-Nov-12 17:45:00
Print Post

Re: How does FTTC get connected to individual subscriber lin

[re: timl] [link to this post]

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre-cornwall/ has the rest of the pictures

Eight fibres head over the DSLAM side, but only one appears in use.

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre-cornwall/images/f... is the exchange side of all this, where the FTTC and FTTP come together and is handed other to BT Wholesale and LLU operators

As for how the engineers identify the pairs, I'll leave one of them to explain

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 19-Nov-12 17:50:10
Print Post

The engineer connecting the premises to FTTC does not (have) access (to) the fibre cabinet.

The connections you see there are to a corresponding patch panel in the PCP. The installing engineer connects the E-side and D-side for the customer to that patch panel. Job done.

Only a limited number of links between the two cabinets are initially installed, by the commissioning engineers. More are added if needed due to takeup.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.5/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ribble
(committed) Mon 19-Nov-12 18:36:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The e and d side terminations in the PCP are recorded centrally, but the installation engineer will double check they have right pairs to begin with. The pairs to/from the FTTC cabinet are (should be) pre-connected in FTTC cabinet and correspond to a VDSL port in the FTTC cabinet. The installation engineer is given the pairs to connect the E nd D side terminations to. All being well there should be continuity when everything is connected through.

Edited by Ribble (Mon 19-Nov-12 18:38:12)

Standard User timl
(member) Mon 19-Nov-12 18:56:43
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

What an educational trip that must have been!

Thanks to these photos I can understand what D-side and E-side means... for example.

Tim

Be 4.4Mb on 62db!
Standard User timl
(member) Mon 19-Nov-12 19:01:49
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

So did the E-side and D-side exist in the PCP before FTTC?

So for an FTTC install the installing engineer contacts the end user. Disconnects the subscribers line from ADSL panel at the Exchange. Goes to the cabinet and joines the E-side to the D-side (which he's been given by some computer?) and then goes and installs the CPE?

That makes much more sense than how I'd imagined was done. Thank you guys for explaining the basics.

Thanks
Tim

Be 4.4Mb on 62db!
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Mon 19-Nov-12 19:19:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by timl:
So did the E-side and D-side exist in the PCP before FTTC?

Yes it's where both interconnect

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Mon 19-Nov-12 19:23:23
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
The connections you see there are to a corresponding patch panel in the PCP. The installing engineer connects the E-side and D-side for the customer to that patch panel. Job done.

In most of the PCP's where i live there are not patch pannels the corresponding E &D pairs are connected by only Gel crimps if there is any pannels in them it's for pair id only

Standard User timl
(member) Mon 19-Nov-12 19:26:23
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

I kind of get this and I don't.

D-side is from the end users house?
E-side is from the exchange?

Won't these already be connected? Or does the line get patched to the FTTC box which then takes the broadband locally through VDSL2 and passes the phone line back to the exchange at the same time?

Thanks
Tim

Be 4.4Mb on 62db!
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Mon 19-Nov-12 20:09:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by timl:
I kind of get this and I don't.

D-side is from the end users house?
E-side is from the exchange?

Won't these already be connected? Or does the line get patched to the FTTC box which then takes the broadband locally through VDSL2 and passes the phone line back to the exchange at the same time?

Thanks
Tim
With no FTTC the PCP is just a termination point for the E and D pairs Where there is a FFTC cab installed There is a Tie pair link cable that allows the 2 to be connected , So when you subscribe for an FTTC service the E side is connected to the PTSN part of the cab,(Via the tie pair link) any Dsl signal is filtered out , Then from the FFTC cab you get VSDL2 and PSTN services on to the D side pair , So if you have a Bad E side , then this won't affect vdsl2 Because the vdsl 2 signal is delivered via the fibre optic cable from exchange

And yes E side =Exchange D side =PCP >< line box >NTE5A

Edited by tommy45 (Mon 19-Nov-12 20:11:14)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to