General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User eddie1150
(regular) Tue 20-Nov-12 22:46:05
Print Post

Speeds after move

[link to this post]

OK so having been on 80/20 and getting full speeds at my old house, ive moved property and ended up getting a 2nd OR modem, the new one been ECI, the original been one of the first huwaei ones.
Ive unlocked my huwaei (i did wait 10 days)
and its syncing as per the image :
http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/510/broadbandspee...

Now my questions:

It says attainable speed 64300, so how come im synching at 54369??

My 2nd question, which modem am i best off with? The ECI one or the huwaei one?
Obviously i cant check the ECI sync speed so how would i know?

Edit - Plusnet website says:
Current line speed:
59.4 Mb

So does that mean ive been syncing faster with the ECI modem?
Thanks.
Eddie
Standard User eddie1150
(regular) Tue 20-Nov-12 22:55:43
Print Post

Re: Speeds after move

[re: eddie1150] [link to this post]

Further to that, ive just done a BTW test on my line and it says:

Our test also indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL2+ broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 1Mbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Ive never seen that before, what would an enigineer visit achieve?

Im only 0.9miles away from my exchange,
and despite having a cabinet at the end of my 10m long phone line, my actual cabinet is 0.4miles away frown
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 20-Nov-12 23:04:35
Print Post

If you get the IP Profile from a BT Speed test, it is apparently 96.79% of the sync. So you want IP Profile x 1.033 for a closeish calculation of the sync.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.5/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 20-Nov-12 23:08:21
Print Post

Read the rest of that report! The criteria for a fixed 2Mbps ADSL2+ service are completely different from a variable ADSL2+ connection. That line has always been there.

Are you sure the cab 10m away isn't VM? (Your sentence about it doesn't make sense, unless it is an SCP not a PCP).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 20-Nov-12 23:09:17
Print Post

Note the word MAY. A common phrase for a line that is expected to only get 1 Meg from a fixed speed service, been there for years

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User eddie1150
(regular) Tue 20-Nov-12 23:14:14
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yeah did read the rest, just never seen that line before... never had such al ong line though!

No its definitely BT.
And im 99% sure its a fibre cab.
My line goes from my house, to a pole, which has a cabinet next to it.
according to the engineer, its just a carrier pole, and the line proceeds .4 miles down the road to another cab - how silly is that!!
Is anyone able to confirm and tell me what cab im connected to?

With regards to IP profiles
it says 52.63 Mbps on BT checker - so why does plusnet say 59? and why am i syched at more?
Also upload says - ip profile is 20mb. im getting 12?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 20-Nov-12 23:18:37
Print Post

The line is connected to a cabinet that is with a couple of hundred metres, if it was a fibre cab 4 miles away you would have no sync at all

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre/checker.php

If its a failure old FTTC phase that site may give you the cabinet number

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 20-Nov-12 23:33:57
Print Post

Pics of cabinets.

FTTC cabinets are normally within 50 cable metres of their PCP. I believe the maximum is approximately 80 metres.

The Plusnet "Line speed" tends to be dodgy on FTTC. Turning the router off for a few minutes might correct it. You are limited to the lower of the two figures.

I've just checked mine - PN says 50.8, BT says 51.8. I shall have a go at router restart tomorrow, and if that fails I may do a modem restart, but I don't want to do that unless I have a very favourable noise margin in both directions.

Sync should always be more than IP Profile - yours is.

Attainable on FTTC is a meaningless number in my view. Perhaps what it might reach in an ideal noise-free world. Mine goes all over the place.

If you look at the stats in a command line window, using xdslcmd info --pbParams you will see how the figures break down into the different frequency bands. My upstream sync is currently above the attainable crazy. Attainables vary 24/7 even with your sync stable.

Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Wed 21-Nov-12 02:10:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by eddie1150:
It says attainable speed 64300, so how come im synching at 54369??

I think you are likely to be interleaved, and the interleaving is stealing the missing 10Mbps.

If you had unlocked the modem on (or before) the 1st day, you'd have probably seen a sync speed closer to the full speed - as well as more errors - before DLM intervened.

If you want to see the detailed data, telnet into the modem, and post back the information from the "xdslcmd info --show" or "xdslcmd info --stats".
Standard User Ixel
(member) Wed 21-Nov-12 11:00:11
Print Post

Also if your cabinet is ECI I've found, as some others have, that using the ECI modem performs better in regards to reducing or turning off interleaving compared to using a non-ECI modem (e.g. Huawei, Fritz!Box). Apparently some incompatibility causes small and regular errors to appear on the line which eventually can result in DLM increasing interleaving depth, delay and INP.

References:
- http://beusergroup.co.uk/technotes/index.php?title=D...
- http://talktalkmembers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to