General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User m1ke_hawkins
(experienced) Wed 21-Nov-12 21:14:53
Print Post

FTTC install query

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I'm getting BT Infinity installed next Friday and just wanted to query a couple of things. We currently have a CAT5E cable running from the back of the master socket to the study where it terminates into a standard BT phone socket, where we use a filter dongle to connect our current ADSL2 router.

However, on the right hand side of the socket is an RJ45 connector, which is CAT5E going up to my room. The question I have is, when BT come to install fibre, will they be able to just fit the new style socket downstairs (where the master socket is) and then connect the existing CAT5E to the data extension port and change my connector upstairs from the standard BT connector to an RJ45? Would the openreach engineer be happy doing this or not? If they didn't change the socket type upstairs, could I still use my old ADSL microfilter to plug the modem into the BT style socket or some sort of converter?

Hopefully this makes sense. I can post some pictures if that makes it easier to understand.

Regards,

Mike wink

be
* Value
THOMSON* SpeedTouch 780WL - Firmware 6.2T
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 21-Nov-12 22:30:05
Print Post

Re: FTTC install query

[re: m1ke_hawkins] [link to this post]

Do you have anything connected to the current master socket, a phone maybe ?

If no, then I would have thought the solution would be to have the engineer make the socket where the router is currently connected, the master socket, bypassing the existing one, and then use an ethernet lead from the new router to patch through the existing CAT5 to upstairs.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 21-Nov-12 22:35:58
Print Post

Rather than pictures, it might be easier if you tell us which socket is feeding your room, and what end result you want in terms of the location of the modem and the router. Also where you need phone service.

The modem has to be close to the master socket. The router can be as far away as you like as it is an ethernet connection between them.

If you get a good engineer, i.e. an experienced real Openreach one not a newbie or a contractor, you stand a fair chance of getting your master socket resited to the study, using your CAT5 cabling. Would that be useful, and if so would the current master be needed for anything? (I wouldn't expect it to be removed, but it can either be disabled or retain phone service. I assume it wouldn't be needed for broadband).

An alternative, closer to what you describe, would be to have the modem at the current master and use the Cat5 to connect from the modem to the router in your study. The phone service question remains.

I don't see the engineer playing around altering the plugs on the end of your cables, or replacing any other sockets, but I'm not entirely sure if that is what you are asking or not.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.5/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 21-Nov-12 22:37:06
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I type too much and too slowly, especially while watching the news on TV.

tongue

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 21-Nov-12 22:40:20
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I type too much and too slowly, especially while watching the news on TV.

Ah ! But at least you can multi-task. I can't even surf and chew gum at the same time ! frown

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 21-Nov-12 22:44:35
Print Post

Lotto

4 12 19 22 36 40 Bonus 44

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 21-Nov-12 22:46:36
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It wasn't me, again .........
If it WAS you Bob, I'd appreciate a PM, you and me go way back, etc, etc. grin

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 21-Nov-12 22:50:27
Print Post

'Fraid not. One number plus the bonus.

Standard User m1ke_hawkins
(experienced) Wed 21-Nov-12 22:53:55
Print Post

Currently have a phone connected to the master socket and a burglar alarm wired in. It was the burglar alarm company that ran the CAT5 from the back of the master to the study upstairs for us.

Mike wink

be
* Value
THOMSON* SpeedTouch 780WL - Firmware 6.2T
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 21-Nov-12 22:56:44
Print Post

Interesting. Is there a filter built into the burglar alarm control box? There should be.

/me wonders what Zarjaz now recommends ....

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to