General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User CrackCol
(newbie) Sun 25-Nov-12 19:18:57
Print Post

Exchange enabled but no FTTC for my estate

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I've been on Openreach's website and it says my exchange is now accepting orders for fibre. However, when i check on Sky's (my ISP) or BT's website it says it's unavailable. It is however saying that it's available for the street across the road.

I live on a new build estate (it's been here for about 18 months) and I've read that sometimes Openreach skip new builds if there's not enough houses on them yet. Is there anyway to find out if this is the case or whether they just haven't quite got round to my cabinet yet?

To make matters even more confusing, when i type my postcode (LL11 6DP) into Openreach's fibre checker page it reckons i live a few miles away in a neighbouring village.

Cheers!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 25-Nov-12 19:41:31
Print Post

Re: Exchange enabled but no FTTC for my estate

[re: CrackCol] [link to this post]

With FTTC it is all down to your cabinet, age of the house has no real bearing.

Openreach rightly or wrongly will have done its sums and decided to not enable the cabinet you are connected to based on their commercial interests.

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre/checker.php is worth a check just to see it shows your postcode is served by Exchange Only lines, the discussion and explanation if it shows up becomes more complex

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User CrackCol
(newbie) Sun 25-Nov-12 20:04:50
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for getting back to me. Is there any way to find out what cabinet I'm connected to?

I've tried the checker link you suggested and it doesn't come back with anything for my postcode. It does for the postcodes all around the estate and says that they are all connected to the same cabinet. I'm just wondering whether we're connected to that cabinet too and it's just Openreach's system that's not recognising our postcode properly? You wouldn't believe the amount of trouble i had getting a phone line installed at this house! When i phoned BT It was like "the computer says you're postcode doesn't exist, therefore we can't give you a phone line" smile

Thanks again for your help.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 25-Nov-12 20:19:27
Print Post

Have you also tried your telephone number or selecting the (Picture of what the bt address checker looks like)as well ? or you could try entering you post code into Openreach where & when If still no info regarding fibre you could E-mail them @nga.enquiries@openreach.co.uk

Sorry i was unable to to provide you with the direct link to the address checker, but it looks as if BT are more petty than i thought they where This is the start page which for some unknown reason also doesnt appear to work in this forum either so here we go. http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker or type BT ADSL CHECKER in to Google

Edited by tommy45 (Sun 25-Nov-12 20:34:01)

Standard User CrackCol
(newbie) Sun 25-Nov-12 20:42:25
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

The telephone no and address come back as saying not available on the dslchecker site but the exchange comes back as being enabled on Openreach where & when. To confuse matters even further if i put my neighbour's house number in (literally a few houses down) it says fibre is available! Maybe I'll try e-mailing openreach to see what they say smile

Thanks
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 25-Nov-12 20:49:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by CrackCol:
The telephone no and address come back as saying not available on the dslchecker site but the exchange comes back as being enabled on Openreach where & when. To confuse matters even further if i put my neighbour's house number in (literally a few houses down) it says fibre is available! Maybe I'll try e-mailing openreach to see what they say smile

Thanks
Who do you pay line rental to each month ( sky,talktalk) , not that should affect the address checker results ? Filing that there is an some what no out of date leaked FTTC spreadsheet available, but that has proven to have some errors so not 100% try inputting your post code into Here

Edited by tommy45 (Sun 25-Nov-12 20:50:32)

Standard User CrackCol
(newbie) Sun 25-Nov-12 21:04:56
Print Post

I'm with Sky for both phone & broadband. Putting my postcode in returned no results, again putting the postcode in for the nearest house off the estate comes back saying it's available.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 25-Nov-12 21:28:02
Print Post

So the inference is the cabinet serving the estate is not enabled - a common situation across towns around the country, as it is rare for Openreach to enable all cabinets on an exchange

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 26-Nov-12 00:10:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by tommy45:
Have you also tried your telephone number or selecting the (Picture of what the bt address checker looks like)
Sorry i was unable to to provide you with the direct link to the address checker, but it looks as if BT are more petty than i thought they where This is the start page which for some unknown reason also doesnt appear to work in this forum either so here we go. http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker or type BT ADSL CHECKER in to Google
You mean this?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.5/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 26-Nov-12 00:11:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by CrackCol:
To confuse matters even further if i put my neighbour's house number in (literally a few houses down) it says fibre is available!
Is that neighbour on the estate or off it?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.5/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to