General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 28-Nov-12 09:35:03
Print Post

new line installed but no modem left

[link to this post]

Is it normally 2 seperate engineers?

I did a complaint and didnt hear anything back but out of the blue a guy just turned up to do my line so seems it has been put as priority now. I asked if he also did the cabinet for infinity he said yes but he didnt leave a modem, also am waiting for dialtone as apperently they jumped the gun and nothing done exchange side yet.

We chatted for bit and he thought my initial 7 week wait was good, he did a job last week a guy waited 2 years.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 28-Nov-12 09:36:52
Print Post

Re: new line installed but no modem left

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

A new line provide and a FTTC install may be done in two stages.

A FTTC on an existing line rental paid phone line is usually just one visit

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 28-Nov-12 10:49:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

it is also new line provide.

long story short.

install date was mid jan
delivery date of home hub 2 days earlier

emailed bt ceo, and someone rang me up said would get it moved forward. that was 2 days ago

today engineer turned up unexpected and installed line but no dialtone as he said exchange side not done. he said he did cabinet as well for broadband but either he was wrong or forgot to give me modem.

bt.com tracking still states 15 jan install date.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 28-Nov-12 14:41:09
Print Post

ok BT got me up to date.

was expidited so they concentrating on my line first, when got dialtone, infinity will be expidited. So no 2nd engineer today.
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 29-Nov-12 03:10:23
Print Post

am bit worried now.

I put my new BT number in the BTw checker and this pops up, note not only the real low adsl speed but lack of FTTC info.

Is it probable that the address checker is right over the new line info? So far on my order there is no indication of anyone i cannot have infinity.

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 1Mbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our initial test on your line indicates that your line may not support a reliable ADSL Max broadband service, with current technology. However, an order for 250Kbps broadband speed will still be accepted, but an engineer may need to visit who will, where possible, supply the service.

Our test also indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL2+ broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 1Mbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our initial test on your line indicates that your line may not support a reliable ADSL2+ broadband service, with current technology. However, an order for 250Kbps broadband speed will still be accepted, but an engineer may need to visit who will, where possible, supply the service.
Standard User ayeaye
(newbie) Thu 29-Nov-12 06:19:58
Print Post

When I got a new line installed at the start of this year, it took over 24 hours for the checker to display the correct results - showed 250kbps like yours is but did sort itself out (I had already placed a ADSL order with an ISP before the figures updated).

As for the fibre element, not sure if that's the same but sounds possible.

(experienced) Thu 29-Nov-12 07:16:18
Print Post

What does the address checker say, enter your house number and postcode

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.Addres...

Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 29-Nov-12 07:48:54
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

same as before FTTC available and 6mbitish adsl.

BT will be calling me back today to arange infinity install. So I am happy with what ayeaye said I think he is right.

actually the address checker has now changed.

It estimates a higher speed for FTTC and is now not available it says by 31 DEC.

is it possible the new line has put me on a different cabinet to what was expected altering results?

my neighbour's come up as available now, so my address has changed since today.

If I select a different flat at my address it also says now.

Nieghbouring phone numbers also say now. Mine only changed after the line install.

Edited by Chrysalis (Thu 29-Nov-12 08:00:14)

Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Thu 29-Nov-12 08:00:38
Print Post

From what I've read your very unlikely to have changed cabinet, it's probably just some glitch in the database whilst updating you're details.

Wait and see what BT say today.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 29-Nov-12 08:11:03
Print Post

Those will be the figures for wherever that number went to on its previous use. As has been said, the database takes a day or so to update to reflect your location.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.5/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to