General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Chris_P_Duck
(newbie) Thu 29-Nov-12 20:42:55
Print Post

Huawei HG610 on BT Infinity settings, Help please!

[link to this post]

So i have my infinity (Increase from my DSL of between 1.4 and 1.6Mb/s to between 65 and 75Mb/s so happy there)

I've junked the homehub in Favour of a Buffalo WZR-HP-G450H (Much nicer and much, much better Wifi range and speed)

But I'd still like to see my line stats etc so I purchased a Huawei HG610 modem.

To my suprise I plugged it in and after it settled the DSL and Internet lights came on! No web pages though but I wasn't expecting there to be. However as much as I search I can't find anyo9ne who's posted the settings needed to get online through this. I assume it must be similar to an unlocked HG612 but although I can find a lot of info on unlocking this I can't find any on setting it up for infinity.

Here's what I've done.
Under Basic then ATM I've entered VPI of 1 and VCI of 32 (I dont think Infinity needs these but i seem to need to put something in and someone had success with these on a combined modem/router on infinity)
The DSL latency is set to path0
The DSL Link type is set to EoA

Then under Basic then WAN
Ive added a new connection with the Layer2 interface atm1/(0_1_32)
set this as a WAN connection
Set the service to internet (choices are TR069, TR069_internet or internet)
Set the connection mode to Route (choices are route or bridge)
Set the connection type to PPPoE
entered the username bthomehub@btbroadband.com also tried @btinternet
tried a blank password, "password" and a space

No joy though!

under Status Coneection Status I see
atm1_1 PendingDisconnect
ptm1.101 Connected
ptm1.301 Connected

DSL and internet lights still on but no web pages. frown

I can see my DSL stats (Attainable rate, SNR, Line Rate etc)
I can't ping any sites.

Any suggestions?
I can post the GUI screen shots of the modem setup pages if needed?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 29-Nov-12 21:02:51
Print Post

Re: Huawei HG610 on BT Infinity settings, Help please!

[re: Chris_P_Duck] [link to this post]

There will be others along much better on this topic than me, but the standard HG612 setup is Bridge, not Route, because it is used as a simple modem and the routing is done by the Home Hub/Buffalo. You have set the 610 as a modem/router and are reaching it from a router, so it's all going haywire.

Try Bridge.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.5/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 29-Nov-12 21:03:47
Print Post

Ack!

How long was the HG612 or ECI connected?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chris_P_Duck
(newbie) Thu 29-Nov-12 21:16:43
Print Post

Sorry I didn't make that clear. I was trying to use the HG610 as a modem and router, so was trying to access web pages from an ethernet cable direct into the HG610. Though thinking about it I could use just the modem as it would be in the original setup.

Not sure what you mean but the HG610 and ECI being connected?

My DSLAM is an Huawei and I've tried both OR provided Huawei's and ECI's. Been connected for about a week I guess.

I left the HG610 connected for about 40mins whilst I was trying various different things.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 29-Nov-12 22:57:42
Print Post

I would get it going as a pure modem first, as that is what you need if you want to use the Buffalo's wireless without further messing about.

I see little point in your using the 610 as a modem/router as it doesn't have wireless, and the LAN on the Buffalo is 1gig but the 610 is 100Mbps. OK you could link the two by disabling the DHCP in the Buffalo, but what are you really trying to achieve? There should be no problem having the full stats and telnet into the 610 via the Buffalo, as it is easy enough with the HG612. (I have this setup with an HG612 and Buffalo WHR-G300N/U).

Re the HG612 v ECI, you didn't say what the original OR-fitted "modem" was.I was just interested.

Re the time whichever one you received was connected, I meant before you started playing about smile. If you started doing this 610 stuff within the first two days of your Infinity connection you are lucky you didn't screw up the DLM and end up on a banded speed profile.

There is this thread by BatBoy who was the first here to use the HG612 as a modem/router and ditch the Home Hub. But as I said, I don't see how it can be right for you.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 29-Nov-12 23:06:21
Print Post

Forget ATM, you want PTM.
Under PTM you need ptm1 with DSL latency Path 0 and PTM priority Normal
Under WAN you want ptm1.101 with WAN connection ticked
Service List INTERNET
No port binding
Connection mode ROUTE
Connection type PPPOE
WAN 802.1q ticked
VLAN ID 101
WAN 802.1p ticked
Value 2
NAT ticked
Username bthomehub@btbroadband.com
Password bt

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Fri 30-Nov-12 08:08:47
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
There should be no problem having the full stats and telnet into the 610 via the Buffalo, as it is easy enough with the HG612. (I have this setup with an HG612 and Buffalo WHR-G300N/U).
I'd be interesting in knowing how you did that. I have a NetGear wnr1000 and I ran a cable from the second BTor modem port into a nearby switch then from there into my router.

Is it possible to have the BTor modem accessible without a second cable?

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he could. RIP.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 30-Nov-12 08:59:59
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

?
No different in principle from your way.

Yes, there is a second ethernet cable. Router IP Address set to 192.168.n.1, with a DHCP range of 2 to m. HG612 IP address set to 192.168.n.(m+1). HG612 LAN1 >> router WAN port, LAN2 goes to a router LAN port.

Print Thread

Jump to