General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Fishtail
(newbie) Sat 01-Dec-12 11:51:51
Print Post

Bt ininity wireless only

[link to this post]

Hi there
Bt persuaded me to take infinity as they said my broadband speed was slow.. With normal broadband I had a phone line upstairs and downstairs and my hub upstairs connected to my desktop (my master line is downstairs ). I wanted bt infinity to be connected the same way but the engineer told me that if I had the hub upstairrs connected to my desktop then I would lose the phone line downstairs. Is this true. It's now left that my desktop is now wireless has to have one of those wireless adaptors
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Sat 01-Dec-12 12:31:15
Print Post

Re: Bt ininity wireless only

[re: Fishtail] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Fishtail:
the engineer told me that if I had the hub upstairrs connected to my desktop then I would lose the phone line downstairs. Is this true.

No, it's complete rubbish, either you or the engineer has got the wrong end of the stick. There are two pieces of equipment, the modem, which is connected to the master phone socket, possibly by means of a data extension cable of up to 30m supplied at the time of the installation, and the Home Hub, which is connected to the modem via an Ethernet cable, which can be pretty much as long as you like. Depending in your internal wiring, it may be possible to move the master socket upstairs, which would simplify the cabling. None of this prevents you having a phone line upstairs and downstairs.

Kevin

plusnet Extra Fibre (80/20)
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Edited by kasg (Sat 01-Dec-12 12:32:27)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 01-Dec-12 12:33:03
Print Post

If the wireless is a problem nothing stopping you running an ethernet cable to the PC, or using devices like HomePlugs if the wireless is not reliable enough for you.

The openreach white modem is best at the socket closest to where the line enters the property, but you can locate the HomeHub up to 100m away if you use an Ethernet cable.

The should have been an option for the engineer to put the openreach modem on the end of its own extension up to 30m from the master socket. WIthout knowing your property, it is possible the engineer did not other this as it was obvious that the cable would not be long enough (it is surprising how short 30m is when you have to wind it around a home)

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Dec-12 17:40:38
Print Post

Sounds like an attack of the contractors to me. [glum]

Print Thread

Jump to