General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User flemmo
(newbie) Mon 03-Dec-12 21:08:26
Print Post

Superfast fibre ordered - help choosing a router/modem

[link to this post]

Just placed the order tonight smile

I currently have a Netgear DGND3700 ADSL modem/router which has been brilliant. I really dont fancy the Huawei HG533, especially after everything I've read, so I'm on the lookout for a new combined router/modem.

How is it possible to tell which products support FTTC? It seems to be publicised for routers, but not combined router/modems.

I was thinking:

Netgear DGND4000
http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/wirelessroute...

or

Asus DSL-N55U
http://www.asus.com/Networks/ADSL_Modem_Routers/DSLN...

But I have no idea if they support FTTC or if there are better alternatives?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 03-Dec-12 21:24:11
Print Post

Re: Superfast fibre ordered - help choosing a router/modem

[re: flemmo] [link to this post]

Neither of those have a built in VDSL modem, and you are aware that openreach prefer you to use their supplied white modem, which may be an ECI or Huawei device.

The TalkTalk HG533 connects to the Openreach modem using Ethernet.

You can use a device like the AVM Fritzbox 7390 which has a built in VDSL modem and router, if you are happy setting everything up, but my advice is that unless you enjoy tinkering and know your way around routers, best to stick the standard setups until you have got settled with the FTTC service

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User omgFTTC
(regular) Tue 04-Dec-12 00:30:37
Print Post

Id say, if you are being supplied with a workable solution, why not suck it and see,

I went out and bought an Netgear WNDR3700 and a super decent ADSL modem, my thought was, once I switch to Fibre, I can still use the netgear router,

once setup, this super decent router, and £70 modem synced at a lower rate than my combo netgear router/modem

Edited by omgFTTC (Tue 04-Dec-12 00:37:56)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User boxst
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 04-Dec-12 09:39:42
Print Post

The Asus doesn't support FTTC as a modem.

I'm going to use http://www.asus.com/Networks/Wireless_Routers/RTN66U/ with the BT Modem.

Reports are that it works well.
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Tue 04-Dec-12 13:29:57
Print Post

That's the router I have, bought it in preparation for FTTC. Have now been using it since August in combination the the BT supplied modem, works pretty well, except on the odd occasion that the modems resynced I've sometimes had to reboot the router.

As others have said, I'd suggest using what you have in combination with the BT supplied modem.

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Tue 04-Dec-12 13:33:00
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I use a NetGear WNR1000v3. It seems to do a plenty good enough job. It only has 10/100 ports though so you might want to look at one with gig ports for future proofing. As for the Huawei it's a perfectly decent modem. Some models get a bit hot if you don't site them the right way up but most people seem to get on fine with it.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he could. RIP.
Standard User Saltank
(member) Tue 04-Dec-12 13:53:18
Print Post

[re: boxst] [link to this post]

I use a Linksys E4200 at the office with 74/16 IDNet Business Priority Fibre - it's great, but the wireless does have random issues which I can't identify when they crop up.

I use a Netgear WNDR3700 with DD-WRT custom firmware at home on my currently 100Mbit Virgin Media connection. It allows for a lot of customisation options and tracks bandwidth as well. Wireless performance, I would say, is relatively poor. 5Ghz can't go past the living room and 2.4Ghz can be patchy.

(experienced) Tue 04-Dec-12 15:36:24
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

The WNDR3700, which the OP has does have gigabit ports.

Standard User flemmo
(newbie) Wed 05-Dec-12 18:21:57
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies.

I should have mentioned, I'm with Talk Talk.
Talk Talk say an engineer will be visiting to install the free router. So I'm guessing it will be a BT OpenReach guy?

Looking on the Talk Talk forums, the Huawei HG533 gets mentioned a lot, so I guess thats the most current router they're using? Just wondering if that is a combined router/modem or if I will also have a BT modem and Talk Talk's Huawei HG533 is just a router?

I guess I should wait and see what it's like before dismissing it as rubbish. Its just that I really like my Netgear. Shame to see it go. I'm not doing anything advanced really. Just some port forwarding for my NAS.

The Huawei HG533 is only 10/100, not gigabit like the rest of my network. Will that matter though as there is always going to be a bottleneck at the telephone line side of things eh?

I'll probably go for the Asus RT-N66U, RT-N56U or Netgear WNDR4500, WNDR3700. Though as I only use WiFi for my mobile, I'll probably go for the cheaper options.
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Wed 05-Dec-12 19:25:52
Print Post

The DGND3700, which you have should work with FTTC, I'm using one on Plusnet so as long as TalkTalk does not use a different authentication then it will work, no need to lose it or pay extra for something else. Mine is setup to use PPPoE

Edit: And yes, the installation engineer will bring the modem, so you will end up with a modem AND a router.

Edited by R0NSKI (Wed 05-Dec-12 19:28:05)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to