General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User knhconsoles
(newbie) Tue 04-Dec-12 13:11:53
Print Post

sky fiber installation in progress but theres a problem

[link to this post]

Hi all im currently having my sky fiber installed by an openreach engineer, when i say currently, i mean literally right now. He's currently mucking around with the cab. He seems to be having a problem "finding my old number". He is running the tests and whatnot on my Virgin Media telephone socket that runs into the Virgin underground network as opposed to the (very) old BT socket upstairs, which runs outside to the overhead telegraph poles. Are the underground Virgin ones and the BT lines linked? I was under the impression the overhead ones were still in use?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 04-Dec-12 13:22:13
Print Post

Re: sky fiber installation in progress but theres a problem

[re: knhconsoles] [link to this post]

No they are not linked.

he should be working on the one which is connected to the overhead wires. HAVE YOU TOLD HIM?

He might be confused because a lot of original cable installers used the BT sockets and internal wiring - just to save a few pence.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Tue 04-Dec-12 13:33:08
Print Post

That really doesn't inspire confidence does it, perhaps you'd better suggest he checks the bt socket upstairs!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User knhconsoles
(newbie) Tue 04-Dec-12 13:37:18
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

yes i told him he said he would go and check it out "just to rule it out". he went up and i heard his handheld device making some noise then he came down and told me that its "not that one, its dead, had to try it just to rule it out though" and is continuing to test the Virgin one. I should also add that the Virgin one is still active for the next few weeks ad the installation date of the Sky Fibre overlapped the ending of our Virgin contract. What should i do?
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Tue 04-Dec-12 13:43:11
Print Post

Did you order a telephone line from Sky? They should surely have sorted that out first. I cannot understand why the engineer would be persevering with a socket connected to the Virgin cable network.

Kevin

plusnet Extra Fibre (80/20)
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 04-Dec-12 14:12:47
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Probably because many are trained for just one job type, and don't have the broad electronics knowledge and history of what has happened over the decades of the UK phone networks.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User simon194
(committed) Tue 04-Dec-12 14:18:22
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Not having an active BT line should have automatically triggered a new line install, in theory that is.
Standard User Saltank
(member) Tue 04-Dec-12 14:51:25
Print Post

Don't let him leave without activating the phone line ad then installing the FTTC, not sure how you can force them to do it, but do it smile

Read my post about my sky fibre installation going totally wrong. They had to install a new line along with FTTC but the OR engineer was booked only for FTTC, even though he's technically capable of doing both. Also, overhead wiring should be easier - mine initially gave the excuse that my wiring is underground and they'd have to dig up the street.

IDNet Business Priority Fibre 75/16

Edited by Saltank (Tue 04-Dec-12 14:53:52)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 04-Dec-12 17:53:47
Print Post

[re: Saltank] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Saltank:
Don't let him leave without activating the phone line ad then installing the FTTC, not sure how you can force them to do it, but do it smile
More importantly, the OP needs to make sure his Virgin system is still working!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.7/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 04-Dec-12 18:29:54
Print Post

Oh dear, what was the final outcome ? You sure he was Openreach, not a contractor on behalf of Openreach ..

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to