General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Addnan
(learned) Wed 05-Dec-12 14:10:23
Print Post

old style master socket

[link to this post]

Probably a really simple question. I ordered infinity a few days ago and now kinda getting worried that I have a old fashioned master socket, without the removal faceplate and test socket. The smaller ones.

Will the openreach engineer replace it? am I just worrying for nothing.
Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 05-Dec-12 14:21:52
Print Post

Re: old style master socket

[re: Addnan] [link to this post]

It will be replaced.
Standard User Addnan
(learned) Wed 05-Dec-12 14:27:06
Print Post

[re: Spasch] [link to this post]

Thank you for the quick reply smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 05-Dec-12 15:04:02
Print Post

To add it wont cost you anything smile
Standard User StephenTodd
(committed) Wed 05-Dec-12 15:34:44
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

If you have an old socket, you may also have old wiring with extensions taken off a junction box before the master socket. This was fine for phones, and for ADSL as long as properly filtered, but it is not fine for FTTC.

If you have got such wiring make sure the installer rectifies it. My installer assured me that it didn't matter when I raised it with him and didn't fix mine: he was wrong. My initial 60Mbps quickly dropped to 12Mbps, and even 3.5Mbps for a short time. I snipped the extension (we weren't using it for anything important) and speeds recovered in DLM's good time to around 70Mbps.

--
Moved (with trepidation) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User Addnan
(learned) Wed 05-Dec-12 17:16:43
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by StephenTodd:
If you have an old socket, you may also have old wiring with extensions taken off a junction box before the master socket. This was fine for phones, and for ADSL as long as properly filtered, but it is not fine for FTTC.

If you have got such wiring make sure the installer rectifies it. My installer assured me that it didn't matter when I raised it with him and didn't fix mine: he was wrong. My initial 60Mbps quickly dropped to 12Mbps, and even 3.5Mbps for a short time. I snipped the extension (we weren't using it for anything important) and speeds recovered in DLM's good time to around 70Mbps.

Can you explain this a little bit. There seem to be another phone socket upstairs although appears to be disabled, doesn't get a dial tone. Should I tell the engineer to make sure that the extensions are all disconnected?

Edited by Addnan (Wed 05-Dec-12 17:17:20)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 05-Dec-12 18:16:46
Print Post

Yes you should.

One possibility is that when the drop wire enters the house there is a small oval box and it might be run from there ... again it might be disconnected at the extension but the wires will act as nice aerials for noise.

And there will be a "cost" ... just make sure you offer him tea or coffee especially as he will be out in the freezing cold at the cabinet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
(committed) Wed 05-Dec-12 18:36:50
Print Post

Probably best to get him (or her) to check it out. It should certainly be ok if the extension is completely disconnected.

The 'main' telephone and new Infinity connection will be connected to the two sockets on the front of the faceplate on the new master socket.
It is ok to have extensions as long as they are properly wired out of the master socket.
eg

Text
OK
~~~   incoming wire ----> master socket  ---> 'main telephone'
                        |        |                        |        '--------> new Infinity connection
                        |                               '--------------> any extensions
 OK
~~~incoming wire-->junction box-->master socket-> 'main telephone'
                                |        |                                |        '-> new Infinity connection
                                |                                       '----------> any extensions

NOT OK~~~~~~~
   incoming wire ---->junction box-->master socket-->'main telephone'                        |                      |
                        |                      '--------> new Infinity connection                        |       
                        '--------------> any extensions

--
Moved (with trepidation) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User Addnan
(learned) Wed 05-Dec-12 18:46:34
Print Post

So this is how it looks. I just moved here, so have no idea what all the wiring is. The extension seems to be coming out of the second box.

http://www.abload.de/img/img_0995f5udw.jpg
http://www.abload.de/img/img_0994pius9.jpg
(committed) Wed 05-Dec-12 20:08:35
Print Post

img_0994pius9.jpg looks like a junction box with an extension coming out of it; eg just what you don't want.

But the installer should fix it. Easy if you don't want the extension anyway (they'll just disconnect it from the box). More difficult if you still want to use the extension as they'll have to work out how to connect the extension via the master. I think it should still be covered by a standard install, but if you are unlucky you might have difficulty persuading the installer of that. (Look on the bright side; that would still be better than the installer never turning up, which seems to happen quite often.)

Good luck with it: I think they more often get it right than wrong.

--
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 05-Dec-12 20:09:48
Print Post

Exactly as I suggested.

You MUST tell the Technician when he arrives and get him to sort the wiring or you will have problems.

M H C

Standard User Addnan
(learned) Wed 05-Dec-12 20:16:26
Print Post

Thanks for all the replies. Feel better now. and yeah, I don't need the extension, would be ok if the engineer just decides rip the whole thing out. Will make sure to tell them to sort the wiring out.

Edited by Addnan (Wed 05-Dec-12 20:17:12)

(committed) Wed 05-Dec-12 20:21:41
Print Post

The critical thing is that the extension wires are disconnected at the junction box. The installer will probably leave the wires in place rather than rip them out; easier for him and probably neater for you, and no issue for the broadband. Just don't let him/her persuade you that they don't matter as they aren't connected at the other end. As MHC says, that is just a big ariel waiting to pick up noise. Good luck again.

--
Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Wed 05-Dec-12 21:03:08
Print Post

As MHC says, that is just a big ariel waiting to pick up noise.

I thought such "bridged taps" were a problem because they reflect the signal from the (unterminated) far end. When the reflected signal joins back with the proper one, it just becomes interference.

The aerial effect is there too, but I thought reflection was the worst part.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 05-Dec-12 21:43:20
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

They can but picking up radiated noise is likely to be a bigger problem. I had one here for a while, but inside a small room with copper roof, steel floor which made quite a nice cage and no problems.

M H C

(committed) Wed 05-Dec-12 23:14:29
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Interesting whether it is noise or reflection interference. Of course, if you actually use the extension there is locally generated noise as well ....

Whatever, luckily the issue is clear for Addnan ~ make sure the problem is avoided.

--
Standard User Addnan
(learned) Fri 07-Dec-12 19:05:54
Print Post

Thought I would update, got it installed today. The guy was nice enough, disconnected the extension and everything. The socket they install is massive. Seems to be working ok right now. http://speedtest.net/result/2357453854.png

So thanks for all the help everyone smile
(committed) Fri 07-Dec-12 19:40:40
Print Post

Excellent. Good luck, I hope it stays like that. (and I wouldn't mind the 7ms ping either. 29 to bbc and 32 on Speedtest)

--

Edited by StephenTodd (Sat 08-Dec-12 00:33:03)

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 07-Dec-12 20:20:31
Print Post

Excellent. Good luck, I hope it stays like that.

7ms ping! Some people get all the luck. (25ms here).

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to