General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User iwish
(committed) Wed 05-Dec-12 23:05:19
Print Post

Exhcange enabled

[link to this post]

My exchange is now showing on the open reach site as accepting orders. but not one single post code entered in to BT fibre site shows as ready. Is this just a case of give BT site time to get the update or something else.
And when i say every post code, i mean every post code. Took time but i have a sad life.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 05-Dec-12 23:29:27
Print Post

Re: Exhcange enabled

[re: iwish] [link to this post]

Try your address here. (I'm guessing you don't have a "BT" phone line?)

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.7/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User iwish
(committed) Thu 06-Dec-12 00:13:56
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I have a Bt number. What am saying is for an exchange to show as taking in orders you need some live cabs right. Well according to Bt infinity site, there are no live cabs yet.
http://www.doogal.co.uk/UKPostcodes.php?Search=KA this is the place i got all post codes for my area.
Enter any one of them and they will come up as cant get fibre until end of December yet enter it on Open reach site and the exchange is down for accepting orders.
And i know it only takes a few cabs to go live for the exchange to be seen as live. But none are showing as live at all on Bt infinity.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Thu 06-Dec-12 01:27:58
Print Post

It struck me the other day, when talking about what Sky & TalkTalk have to do to make an exchange "live" on their network... that the same is actually true for BT Wholesale.

So... it could be that Openreach *have* enabled the exchange, and *have* some cabinet ready for service. It is just that none of the backhaul companies have backhaul ready yet!

Or it could just be a cock-up in the database wink

Having said all that, the same happened with our original exchange 2 years ago. The exchange was labelled as accepting orders in November 2010, but the first cabinet I could find that *actually* said it was live was in mid December. Unfortunately, there were power issues with my cabinet for another 3 months, and then issues with my order. It took until June to actually go live.
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 06-Dec-12 07:53:03
Print Post

seems odd, in my case I had infinity and BTw say yes on cabinet but the openreach exchange checker said no and it still says no right now even tho I am now using the service.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 06-Dec-12 08:45:11
Print Post

Two separate issues there.

You should not use post code checking for yourself if you have a "BT" number. From the BT Wholesale checker:-
Please note that the postcode checker is less accurate than the telephone number checker because it uses a best guess of where you live based on the centre point of the postcode area entered. BT's ability to provide Broadband to your address will depend on the availability of Broadband ADSL at your serving exchange and other factors including the length of the line connecting you to that exchange.

Several postcode areas extend over more than one telephone exchange area, therefore the checker data will only be correct if it has correctly assumed which telephone exchange provides service to your address.

In addition, the postcode checker may not give an accurate estimate of the routing of the telephone cable that is connected to your address, therefore the result given by the postcode checker must be treated with caution.

The postcode checker will provide a result that is between 80% and 90% accurate. The postcode checker should not be used at all for Fibre to the Premises (FTTP). Please use the address or telephone number checker.Use http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Second issue - not uncommon. Give it a couple of days.
Edit - missing end quote tag.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.7/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 06-Dec-12 09:17:55)

Standard User kitcat
(member) Thu 06-Dec-12 09:40:47
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

WWombat

I agree, Openreach have to give all ISPs the same notice on equivalence grounds. If the Headend already has backhaul ISPs go live very quickly (same day).

I think often Openreach give warning that it will go live on x date and ISPs can choose to order in advance. However at present (due to fault numbers) they may not always know in advance and if they find the resource they complete then announce and the ISPs have to get their backhaul ordered and completed before they update their checkers.

This would expalin the some fact some exchanges have no delay and some go live with no Retail suppliers for a week or so.

Some non BT wholesale supplied ISPs may choose not to provide the GEA to their backhaul until they have a significant demand on that headend thereby saving money. Bt Wholesale seem to order immediatly so BTRetail and other BTWholesale supplied ISPs all seems to be first to supply service on most exchanges..
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Thu 06-Dec-12 13:22:32
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

I think something like that is the case, with our checks we first found cabinets live in June IIRC, but an ISP told me they were live the month before.

Standard User iwish
(committed) Thu 06-Dec-12 14:20:56
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

some post codes are now showing as rdy. Not mine yet.frown
Standard User iwish
(committed) Fri 07-Dec-12 11:45:22
Print Post

Infinity ordered and install date set for 9th of January.
Happy days
  Print Thread

Jump to