General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ifb_online
(regular) Sat 08-Dec-12 16:30:11
Print Post

BT Infinity for business & wifi hotspots

[link to this post]

I have been using FTTC via fast.co.uk at my office for a couple of years but I am now tempted to switch to BT's service because they bundle access to nationwide BT WIFI hotspsots. As I travel a fair bit, this would be very handy as I find my T-Mobile (EE now) data service patchy and slow.

I have a couple of questions - does the Option 1 service have an off-peak unlimited element like Infinity for home Option 1? Fast.co.uk don't meter the upload channel at all, which is reassuring when synchronising with our cloud backup service.

Our business is small and we simply rent a one room office suite - would BT be happy to install a home package there? Fast.co.uk don't discriminate between home and office. Our phone line is with BT and it's a business number.

Does anyone else besides BT bundle access to nationwide wifi hotspots?

Ian

Edited by ifb_online (Sat 08-Dec-12 17:25:54)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 08-Dec-12 16:35:13
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity for business & wifi hotspots

[re: ifb_online] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ifb_online:
... but I am not tempted to switch ....
"now tempted"? Or even just "tempted"?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.7/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 08-Dec-12 16:35:51)

Standard User ifb_online
(regular) Sat 08-Dec-12 17:28:19
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
... but I am not tempted to switch ....
"now tempted"? Or even just "tempted"?

Ah! Sorry - yes that should have been 'now' - I have corrected the original post.

And that post may be academic now as I have discovered I probably have national wifi access through my T-Mobile account. They never promoted this option to me! I have downloaded the app and can't wait to try it...

Ian

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 08-Dec-12 17:41:20
Print Post

Our phone line is with BT and it's a business number
I suspect that would make it more difficult to get Retail broadband from BT, as they'll know.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User ifb_online
(regular) Sat 08-Dec-12 17:54:11
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

I am reasonably happy with Fast.co.uk although they still don't offer Infinity 2 speeds. They are slightly cheaper than BT so if the T-Mobile free wifi app works out I may well stick with them.

Ian
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sat 08-Dec-12 19:11:53
Print Post

As I travel a fair bit, this would be very handy as I find my T-Mobile (EE now) data service patchy and slow.

I guess it depends where you are in the country, but on a 2012 smartphone with DC-HSPA (often written as 42 megabit support) the T-Mobile network is giving nearly 20megabit/sec downloads at my home! The old Orange network is showing less than 1meg, but most phones now show both as EE its very hard to tell them apart.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 08-Dec-12 19:26:51
Print Post

Almost certain that BT will not install a Res service. The small extra cost is a small price to pay for the enhanced support.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User partial
(member) Sat 08-Dec-12 21:51:49
Print Post

You will not get BT Residential Broadband on a Business Line.

The way to do this is to make the phone line residential in the name of the boss.' Mr Bloggs trading as ACME Smallco"

But if the firm is a proper business, best off remaining as a proper business line. Especially when a line fault occurs or you want to be in Yellow Pages.

Turning to the Openzone / BT Wifi / BT Fon proposition. Yes this is a fantastic service and one that I use every day. I am constantly amazed at the availability of this service. It is everywhere. If there are houses, there is Openzone.

Sky are getting on the bandwagon with 'Cloud' but it is currently nowhere near the availability of BT.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 08-Dec-12 22:10:48
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

The Cloud is currently a pure hotspot proposition, Sky broadband customers do not provide connectivity via their home connections like with BT Retail

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User partial
(member) Sat 08-Dec-12 22:11:38
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks. Prolly why I don't see Cloud anywhere. Yet there are a choice of BT Openzone, BT Wifi or BT Wifi With Fon signals on virtually every street.

Edited by partial (Sat 08-Dec-12 22:14:01)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to