General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User techno179
(newbie) Wed 12-Dec-12 10:12:53
Print Post

User credentials for fibre broadband

[link to this post]

Just got connected to fibre broadband two days ago. I had my PC connected to the fibre modem hoping it that it would just come up with an internet connection. But no luck. After two days of ringing support, they started to run all kinds of tests etc. I rang this morning and they only just told me now that I need to enter some username and password for authentication. The fact they didn't even email me about this or mention it seems really dubious. Can anyone tell me if fibre broadband does require user credentials? Where does this get entered on a Windows 7 PC if the PC is directly connected to the fibre modem?

TIA
Standard User StephenTodd
(committed) Wed 12-Dec-12 10:22:24
Print Post

Re: User credentials for fibre broadband

[re: techno179] [link to this post]

You don't say which FTTC provider.

For BT Infinity, a username 'bthomehub@btbroadband.com' will work (so will many other usernames, that is the default the HomeHub uses).

It does not require a password. Some hubs won't accept an empty one, I'm not sure whether a Win7 pppoe connection requires one. Anyway, Infinity is not fussy, if you have to give a password, anything will do (people suggest 'BT', but doesn't matter).

--
Moved (with trepidation) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User panda
(committed) Wed 12-Dec-12 10:22:32
Print Post

Credentials are required in exactly the same way as ADSL and are provided by your ISP.
It is usual for these credentials to be entered into a router, but where no router is used (as in your case), they are entered into the PPPoE Dial-up settings on the computer.

Assuming you are using Windows, you need to create a new connection using PPPoE Dial-up and use this to connect to your ISP.

Eats shoots and leaves.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 12-Dec-12 10:26:12
Print Post

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-vista/Cre...

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 12-Dec-12 10:28:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by techno179:
Just got connected to fibre broadband two days ago. I had my PC connected to the fibre modem hoping it that it would just come up with an internet connection. But no luck. After two days of ringing support, they started to run all kinds of tests etc. I rang this morning and they only just told me now that I need to enter some username and password for authentication. The fact they didn't even email me about this or mention it seems really dubious. Can anyone tell me if fibre broadband does require user credentials?
Yes it does. ISPs assume you will use a standard setup of a "cable" router" connected to the Openreach modem. Some routers/ISPs autoconfigure but generally you have to enter a username and password into the router. I would expect them to have told you what these are. Which ISP is it?
Where does this get entered on a Windows 7 PC if the PC is directly connected to the fibre modem?

TIA
Control panel >> Network and Internet >> Network and Sharing Center, first option - "Set up a new connection or network".

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.7/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User techno179
(newbie) Wed 12-Dec-12 10:41:17
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for all the replies. The ISP is ADSL24. I haven't received any information regarding the username or password details. So far they've seemed a bit disorganised. I ordered the broadband a few weeks ago to have it installed on the 10th Dec. However, they only realised they hadn't sent me the confirmation email when I chased them up over the weekend to see if things were still on schedule. I was assuming things would just start working and have called ADSL24 support a number of times to work out why it wasn't working. They've done all kinds of tests as well as getting BT to run a line test/check. However, it was only after my call this morning did they even mention that I needed username/password details. I've heard good things about ADSL24 but so far it's not been as I was hoping. I really do hope after I get up and running, I'll experience the better side of ADSL24's service as per what I've heard.
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Wed 12-Dec-12 13:30:50
Print Post

Did you have ADSL with them before? With Plusnet my username and password stayed the same.

It may also be possible to login to your isp and check what your usernane and password is.

Standard User techno179
(newbie) Wed 12-Dec-12 14:00:26
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
Did you have ADSL with them before? With Plusnet my username and password stayed the same.

It may also be possible to login to your isp and check what your usernane and password is.

Nope, moved over from O2. Hoping that I'll be able to get connected without any problems once I get home.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 12-Dec-12 14:32:51
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by StephenTodd:
You don't say which FTTC provider.

For BT Infinity, a username 'bthomehub@btbroadband.com' will work (so will many other usernames, that is the default the HomeHub uses).

It does not require a password. Some hubs won't accept an empty one, I'm not sure whether a Win7 pppoe connection requires one. Anyway, Infinity is not fussy, if you have to give a password, anything will do (people suggest 'BT', but doesn't matter).

Not the case on Business Infinity - it has to have the matching User name and Password. I am just going through a password change at present.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 12-Dec-12 16:29:19
Print Post

so the openreach engineer didnt leave with it online, he just plugged in the modem and went?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to