General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jimbob5050
(newbie) Wed 12-Dec-12 21:16:46
Print Post

FTTC Rollout December 2012

[link to this post]

Hey,
Anyone have an update on the rollout of FTTC exchanges in Glasgow, specifically the Cambuslang exchange that is due to be finished by December 2012? I have been looking for my cabinet but have been unable to find any bt cabinets near me. According to this site http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre/checker.php my postcode G728SX is on cabinet P25 and has a probability of 100%. What does the probability figure stand for?
Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Wed 12-Dec-12 22:18:12
Print Post

Re: FTTC Rollout December 2012

[re: jimbob5050] [link to this post]

I dont now anything on the progress of the Glasgow exchanges, your exchange Cambuslang is in the last holding holding slot of 2012, the next slot is the 31st March 2013 which it will move to if its not ready.
The exchange goes live when its ready and only Openreach know this, as for your cabinet, this could be cab 25, only had a brief look around your postcode area.

http://goo.gl/maps/PujQK

The 100% figure relates to the % of lines in your postcode that go to a cabinet, so for your postcode area all lines go to cab 25.
If you have a BT number then put it into the below checker and post back the results, if a non BT number then use the address checker.

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by ccxo (Wed 12-Dec-12 22:20:22)

Standard User jimbob5050
(newbie) Wed 12-Dec-12 22:57:48
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

thanks for getting back to me. I thought that cabinet would be the one aswell but its beaten down exterior made me think not so much. Ive often seen openreach vans parked up around that street. The only other cabinet i can think of that i could be on is this one http://goo.gl/maps/XsCJo , which is on the other side of the estate im in. these are the results from the bt checker: Exchange CAMBUSLANG

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial check on your address indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 1Mbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 3Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 2Mbps and 5.5Mbps.

Our check also indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL2+ broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 1Mbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 3Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 2.5Mbps and 6.5Mbps.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User iwish
(committed) Wed 12-Dec-12 23:45:10
Print Post

No mention of fibre speed from the bt checker on your number is never a good sign.
And if that is your cab and it has no new shell then its looking bad
Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Thu 13-Dec-12 01:24:59
Print Post

That is a very small Openreach cabinet, so it could be cab 25, would need to compare all the postcodes that connect to cabinet 25 to narrow it down.

Some cabinets have very old shells, just down to age and weathering, as their is no mention of FTTC on the checker your cabinet has not yet been planned for FTTC.
So you are going to have to wait and see if anything happens in 2013/2014 by Openreach via commerical infill or through Scotlands BDUK upgrade.

You can send a email below to this address, as your exchange is in the commerical rollout, include your address and phone number as they will ask for this.
Openreach will be able to provide more information, if they do intend to ugprade your cab or not- can take up to 10 working days for a response.

nga.enquiries@openreach.co.uk

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Thu 13-Dec-12 08:09:01
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

Just because there is no mention of FTTC on the checker does not mean his cabinet has not been planned for FTTC. Many of our local cabinets, mine included did not mention FTTC until a few weeks before they went live, yet they were planned in the December 2011 spreadsheet. There are currently two cabinets which I know are scheduled for March 2013, they are currently scheduled on roadworks. org for installation next week yet the checker does not mention anything. In fact I've seen the checker show estimated speeds for weeks, and then stop mentioning FTTC for a few weeks, all prior to being live. How do I know this? I've checked every non live cabinet on two local exchanges for over six months on a weekly basis smile

With regard to his cabinet, it will be the one on the side of the estate nearest the exchange, highly unlikely to be the further one. Edit: Having looked at the locations, it could be either.

Here's a map of postcodes supplied by PCP25, I've checked the postcodes on the infinity checker and none show the PCP, sometime you can get lucky and the checker will tell you which PCP is installed at a particular postcode, it will even mention a DSLAM.

http://batchgeo.com/map/c34931b2d1f7da0c1c35fbca344d...

I don't think there's enough properties passed by it to make it viable, ignore the one the other side of the A724, it's probably erroneous data.

Edited by R0NSKI (Thu 13-Dec-12 08:39:12)

Standard User Bob_s2
(committed) Thu 13-Dec-12 08:33:39
Print Post

[re: iwish] [link to this post]

THat does not matter. FRequently the checker will not metion Fibre Speeds. I think they in the early days used to put in an extimate of the speeds but seem to no longer do so at least untill shortly before it is due to go live.
Standard User Ribble
(committed) Thu 13-Dec-12 10:22:37
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

I'd be more optimistic but not expect it to be available for a few months yet smile
Standard User iwish
(committed) Thu 13-Dec-12 12:58:02
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

I am not saying his cab will never go live, but the fact it does not even have a new shell yet and his exchange is planned to go live on December 2012 is never a good sign of anytime soon.
In my area of Kilmarnock, all cabs where installed and went live at the same time apart from 2 that i can see.
And BT seem to be doing the same in Irvine aswel
Standard User arfster
(knowledge is power) Thu 13-Dec-12 13:03:06
Print Post

[re: iwish] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by iwish:
I am not saying his cab will never go live, but the fact it does not even have a new shell yet and his exchange is planned to go live on December 2012 is never a good sign of anytime soon.

Those placeholder dates don't seem to mean much - mine is also Dec 2012, but repeatedly gets shuffled forward 3 months, and will be again. They've not installed the cabinet or even started laying fibre anywhere near here, and looking at the local roadworks progress at other exchanges I'm expecting it'll be another 6 months minimum.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to