General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User begerac
(newbie) Thu 13-Dec-12 21:08:01
Print Post

Next Batch of FTTC/P Dates?

[link to this post]

3 Months since the last batch - should there be some more released before xmas?
Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Thu 13-Dec-12 21:12:21
Print Post

Re: Next Batch of FTTC/P Dates?

[re: begerac] [link to this post]

It's possible.

However, we've been told that there is maybe only 1 more announcement (of commercial exchanges) left to come, so they might not want to do this too soon.
Standard User kitcat
(member) Thu 13-Dec-12 21:37:10
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

I would expect the next batch to be announced soon after the New Year for March to June 2013 AND to include the first set of BDUK sites.

This is based on the fact that the existing Future exchanges contain a LOT of little exchanges in Yorkshire that is the first BDUK contract to start delivering.

If you know the districts you can filter on them, otherwise start by "begins with" MY or NE, (NE includes some that should be in a different bid). I think it is 134 exchanges which must be most of those left in Yorkshire. 73 in 2013 and 61 in 2104.

The future exchanges are already sorted to 2013 and 2014 years now. So some expectations are being set. The Yorkshire ones are the only set in 2014 at present which reinforces my belief that they are the non-commercial ones.

In fact having browsed the Openreach map it looks like there are only a few tiny exchanges not listed, these may be all EO lines so would be at the very end if at all.

See DL8 3RN for some really remote ones that are listed.

Edited by kitcat (Thu 13-Dec-12 21:48:41)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Thu 13-Dec-12 22:36:37
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

I've been following these exchanges...

In reply to a post by kitcat:
I would expect the next batch to be announced soon after the New Year for March to June 2013 AND to include the first set of BDUK sites.

This is based on the fact that the existing Future exchanges contain a LOT of little exchanges in Yorkshire that is the first BDUK contract to start delivering.

That's true, but it's really only North Yorkshire ones so far.

If you know the districts you can filter on them, otherwise start by "begins with" MY or NE, (NE includes some that should be in a different bid). I think it is 134 exchanges which must be most of those left in Yorkshire. 73 in 2013 and 61 in 2104.

Yup. North Yorkshire (incl York) have only had 18 exchanges in the commercial roll-out so far, and only 12 of these have gone live.

By my counts (done by checking the map, rather than the region prefix), there are another 120 exchanges within North Yorkshire that haven't been announced, but that do appear in the latest (public) Openreach lists - 10 'coming soon' in March 2013, 53 'future exchanges' in 2013 and 56 in 2014. Most of these have the MY prefix (note, this prefix is shared with other parts of Yorkshire), but some do have NE prefixes.

But that isn't the end of it. There are some exchanges outside the county that look like they probably serve customers within the county too. Some commercial ones already open (4), but there are 9 exchanges that also haven't been on previous announcements, so are quite likely to be also BDUK-funded: 5 in East Yorkshire, 2 in Darlington and 2 in Leeds (West Yorkshire) - even though those regions haven't started yet.

In fact having browsed the Openreach map it looks like there are only a few tiny exchanges not listed, these may be all EO lines so would be at the very end if at all.

Only 8 exchanges, with an average size of, I think, 275 lines.
Standard User dogcat
(newbie) Fri 14-Dec-12 11:09:11
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

As mentioned the list is being updated, even though they haven't done a grand announcement about it. Our exchange which in the Ortober announcement was in the Future Exchanges for 2013 is now in the coming soon list for March 2013. Also there aren't many exchanges listed left for 2012 (~50 rough guessing) and also tbh the list for March 2013 seems a bit on the low side (~100), so either they are keeping it low given the usual weather effects for Winter or they will add more to the list shortly.

As for North Yorkshire, yeah all their exchanges are now listed. Think there maybe more than 9 though which will have cross boundary which will also end up having to be done to cover the N.Yorkshire BDUK rollout, as I know of one thats in W Yorks that's not in Leeds area that is also cross boundary that so far has no FTTC plans.
Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Fri 14-Dec-12 16:00:19
Print Post

[re: dogcat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dogcat:
Think there maybe more than 9 though which will have cross boundary which will also end up having to be done to cover the N.Yorkshire BDUK rollout, as I know of one thats in W Yorks that's not in Leeds area that is also cross boundary that so far has no FTTC plans.

Yes - the 9 I mentioned were just the ones that matched the pattern I saw in North Yorkshire, of being included without being formally announced - and as NY is the only county there that is so far advanced, it was an easy guess that BDUK caused those exchanges to be added.

However, I had 5 more exchanges from the commercial list that looked to me like they would provide some service, plus 4 that remained "unviable". It is harder to judge those last 4, as they might not still be in the commercial rollout for the other county/authority, or be being left to that area's BDUK bid, or not serve any NY properties, or just simply unviable. 2 of the 4 are big enough to easily warrant BDUK funds, and 2 are small enough to be on the borderline to being left NC.

I also suspect there are more exchanges on the East Yorkshire border that I could have included.

It just shows that county boundaries don't easily align with exchange boundaries, and the BDUK plans need to co-ordinate a little...
  Print Thread

Jump to