General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User garethr
(learned) Sat 15-Dec-12 15:15:01
Print Post

My commerical deployment FTTP deferred to 2014

[link to this post]

Hi,

I live in an area of Milton Keynes connected to the Woburn Sands phone Exchange rather than the main Milton Keynes pone exchange but the area is a housing estates (not new) that is part of Milton Keynes.

We just had a large number of cabinets deployed to the area include 3 to industrial areas (max 25 lines per cab) and some to a remotish rural areas with only 25 (max) houses connected to it the cab.

The estates where I live has some 900 houses served by two different PCP's.

The north half of the estate has 600 houses on it and now has a FTTC cabinet which is going live 31 Dec.

The south half of the estate has 300 houses on it and we've now been advised consistently the area will be FTTP. However, no firm date has ever been given.

We've now not had much information from BT for a few months so decided to push. The response we got was frankly quite shocking. BT have advised us that the south cab will be FTTP but that they are considering it for implementation in late 2013/early 2014.

The area has already been assessed for flipping but there is a engineering problem with the copper in the area which means the PCP has been written off - as I understand it.

So, I now feel that the area is in the position where BT will likely priorities BDUK and other work over implementation of the area. I also can't help but wonder if BT are stalling and will install a future large density cab with vectoring instead of FTTP and are using the FTTP as an excuse.

I understand the estate will only have one aggregation point and this is now installed and the ducting between it and the Exchange is clear and has sufficient capacity.

So how long wold 300 houses take? What's going on? Will we see commercial FTTP/FTTC deployment ongoing into 2014/2015?

Regards,

Gareth

Edited by garethr (Sat 15-Dec-12 15:19:11)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 15-Dec-12 15:20:00
Print Post

Re: My commerical deployment FTTP deferred to 2014

[re: garethr] [link to this post]

A manifold per dozen properties and then a fibre splitter every 32 manifolds linking back to the aggregation point

The final few metres is only installed once people order it.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User garethr
(learned) Sat 15-Dec-12 17:08:45
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Andrew,

I don't know what you're getting at. Bit confused smile. The estate definitely has a aggregation point as the fibre was spliced form that to the FTTC cab. So 1 AP to 900 houses and a clear run to the Exchange. The south half has been surveyed and ducts and chambers with CATV to properties is present - so ducting from chamber (fibre dp) to property is present.

http://goo.gl/JgSQU

Regards,

Gareth

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 15-Dec-12 17:17:33
Print Post

As I understand it, CATV ducting, (VM cable?), is not available for Openreach use.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sat 15-Dec-12 17:23:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
As I understand it, CATV ducting, (VM cable?), is not available for Openreach use.

But MK had BT cable, not VM....

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 15-Dec-12 17:45:09
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

BT Cable TV?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Kam
(learned) Sat 15-Dec-12 18:01:43
Print Post

The ANALOGUE cable TV system in Milton Keynes is owned by BT. In the late 1990s BT were forced to lease it to NTL, now Virgin Media. Neither company seems to be interested in upgrading this now obsolete system.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sat 15-Dec-12 18:04:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
BT Cable TV?

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/11/33637925-milton...

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/story/2011/04/04/bt-and-v...

http://www.prlog.org/10536368-virgin-media-cable-tv-...

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 15-Dec-12 18:28:16
Print Post

You have Exchange Handover Node, Aggregration point, fibre splitter, manifold for FTTP

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre-milton-keynes/wgc...

Shows the setup - the FTTC cabinets connect to the fibre at the Aggregation point, the manifold

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 15-Dec-12 18:29:08
Print Post

Yeap, Milton Keynes has had all manner of things going on over the decades

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to