General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User shalom2005
(member) Fri 21-Dec-12 11:35:25
Print Post

Question Relating to Fibre Install (We have 2 lines)

[link to this post]

Hi

I'm currently with BE ADSL2+ and we have another phone line on Plusnet ADSL. My line's master socket is in an adjoining room and the extension lead which BT installed runs through the adjoining wall via the other lines BT phone socket on the wall (on the other side of the wall is my BT socket).

Hope, the above is clear? The question is when I get FTTC fibre, will OpenReach (or whoever) just replace the extension lead from the master socket to my socket in the adjoining room or would the master socket need to be moved? (There is no nearby mains socket near my master socket).

I'll keep an eye on the replies and follow up any other questions. Grateful for your advice!

Best Regards

Steven, Chigwell, Essex

http://speedtest.net/result/2024825798.png

Download Speed: 19.707
Upload Speed: 1.425
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 21-Dec-12 11:56:30
Print Post

Re: Question Relating to Fibre Install (We have 2 lines)

[re: shalom2005] [link to this post]

the new faceplate for FTTC goes on the master socket of the relevant line. The master socket can be relocated, or a "data extension kit" used to connect to the faceplate from a distance. AFAIK Openreach don't install FTTC on an extension.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User shalom2005
(member) Fri 21-Dec-12 12:00:08
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Thanks Phil

So, am I correct then, in saying, the master socket's faceplate is changed then the current extension cable can be replaced with "data extension kit". Can this be via the telephone socket to join my room (where the old wire goes through the wall??

Best Regards

Steven, Chigwell, Essex

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User shalom2005
(member) Fri 21-Dec-12 15:25:48
Print Post

Hi

Replying to myself here!. I've taken two photos. Can you please identify which of these is the master socket?

Image 1

This is the box that BT fitted where the external phone line is connected to

Image 2

This is the box in my room where my phone line/broadband is connected to

Best Regards

Steven, Chigwell, Essex

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 21-Dec-12 15:34:12
Print Post

Image 1 is just a junction box and 2 is the master.

You could have the modem installed at 2 without any wiring change.

Alternatives are.

Convert 1 to a master and then 2 to a secondary phone socket.

Then either: Run a data extension from the master at 1 to a new RJ45 socket where you would like it;

OR Install the modem at 1 and run Ethernet to where you want the router installed.

My preference would be the latter - less cable with VDSL signal running round the house with the potential to pick up noise from electrical equipment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 21-Dec-12 15:43:45
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Could Image 1 be an RF3 filter? Depends what's under the cover...

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 21-Dec-12 15:48:21
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I reckon so smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 21-Dec-12 15:50:36
Print Post

Could be but will not make any difference. A master could be installed adjacent to it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User shalom2005
(member) Fri 21-Dec-12 15:51:22
Print Post

Ah clarity....they say a picture paints a thousand words!!

Thanks guys. I was worried that image 1 (in the adjoining room) was the master.

So that means that I have the master socket in the room where the PC/router is connected to BE so FTTC install should be a piece of cake, if the engineer turns up smile

Hoping to start the ball rolling 3rd week of January requesting a MAC from BE.

Many thanks all of you, have a great Xmas.

Best Regards

Steven, Chigwell, Essex

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 21-Dec-12 16:04:58
Print Post

You must have two master sockets. One for each line. If I understand you correctly that's what you have, back-to-back with the wall in-between?

That makes sense as the incoming cable from outside has two or three pairs, for this purpose. It isn't really what you would call an extension cable between the two masters.

So I agree with what the others have said. If you haven't got a power point near the master in your room, you need the Home Wiring Solution, (which used to be and often still is called a data extension cable). This is free, but you need to make sure your ISP orders it automatically. Most do. That can be used in a few ways.

1) It can be wired into the existing master socket giving an extension somewhere else that only feeds the modem.

2) The original master can be turned into a simple junction box and the new master placed where you want it.

3) As (2) but with back-wiring within the cable to the original master which becomes a phone only extension. Not a recommended solution but works for people who have it in the hall and want a phone still to be there.

4) There will be other variations as well but (1) or (2) are the best technically for the fibre speed. Or of course you could provide power to near the current master in the first place, as the router can as far away from the modem as you like. That's the best of all.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to