General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Weavus
(learned) Sat 22-Dec-12 00:19:03
Print Post

5 meters from FTTC cabinet but cannot get Infinity...help!

[link to this post]

I live 5 meters from a FTTC cabinet on the LNMED exchange but I'm connected to another non upgraded cabinet a further 10 meters away. To add insult to injury another two FTTC cabinets are within two hundred meters. I suspect that my cabinet P14 will never be upgraded as I think only a handful of properties are connected to it.

Do I have any options at all to get FTTC service? Can I not pay BT to change the cabinet I get served from or is that a non starter? The regular cabinet that partners the FTTC box that's 5 meters away is actually on the back wall of my property so the work involved would be tiny, but I imagine it might as well be 100 miles away for all BT would care.

Will fibre-on-demand be available to me when that rolls out next year? I read somewhere you can only get it if your cabinet is FTTC enabled, is that correct?

Thanks for any help or suggestions
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 22-Dec-12 00:23:50
Print Post

Re: 5 meters from FTTC cabinet but cannot get Infinity...hel

[re: Weavus] [link to this post]

You could try asking Openreach. Email them at nga.enquiries@openreach.co.uk .
I think Fibre on Demand doesn't depend on your cabinet being enabled, you just have to be near an aggregation point which it sounds like you are.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 22-Dec-12 11:30:13
Print Post

That concentration of cabinets seems very high? Three FTTC cabinets and therefore three PCPs within 200 metres, plus your cabinet = four PCPs?

Re the Fibre on Demand, you are right in saying it is publicised as only being available in FTTC enabled areas, and yours isn't. However, the aggregation point question has been discussed here, but so far as I know only the theoretical possibility. I'm not aware of any Openreach statement corresponding to what BatBoy says, even though such a policy would seem sensible.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User robertcrowther
(newbie) Sat 22-Dec-12 11:45:43
Print Post

You won't be moved onto an upgraded cabinet until you are on fibre anyway, so don't worry that you are not on an upgraded cabinet.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 22-Dec-12 11:53:20
Print Post

[re: robertcrowther] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by robertcrowther:
You won't be moved onto an upgraded cabinet until you are on fibre anyway, so don't worry that you are not on an upgraded cabinet.
Uh?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 22-Dec-12 12:22:24
Print Post

When you email BT (BatBoys post) you could ask to investigate a new line provision from the closest cabinet with an FTTC partner. Then, once that line is in place cancel the existing with a number swap (if your number is important) and then get FTTC enabled.

Fiddly, but it can be done and there is a cost but it may be the only way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 22-Dec-12 13:28:17
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
I think Fibre on Demand doesn't depend on your cabinet being enabled
Actually, I think that's wrong
FTTP on Demand offers downstream speeds of 330Mbit/s and upstream speeds of 30Mbit/s and will be available to premises served by GEA-FTTC enabled cabinets for the first time - not just from those exchanges that currently offer FTTP.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 22-Dec-12 14:04:49
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

The premises in question apparently aren't served by an FTTC-enabled cabinet. That's the whole reason for the OP.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 22-Dec-12 14:27:05)

Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 22-Dec-12 14:08:00
Print Post

my gut guess is a no. BT have a strict policy they adhere to that they will not change line routing for individual customers, that is your main stumbling block. The 2nd issue been if there is no existing ducting that would allow a line reroute then I think its an even harder task, you might have a slim chance if there is existing ducting that allows it. Or existing overhead poles that would allow it to be strung across with little effort.

I am curious tho how your area ended up with that situation on the cabinets with 3-4 in a small area and yours only serving a few properties, that does suggest BT did work in the past to resolve issues and possibly did reroute lines for your few properties.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Sync 80/20
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 22-Dec-12 14:09:12
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes, agreed. He won't be able to get FTTPOD either.

Edited by BatBoy (Sat 22-Dec-12 14:09:56)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to