General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bazza1984
(newbie) Sun 23-Dec-12 10:08:29
Print Post

Fibre Petition

[link to this post]

if my housing estate holds around 520 houses how many signatures would i need to get bt to consider to upgrade as before when they carried there survey out it wasnt commercially vialble , at this moment i have around 330 sigs of people who want the upgrade!!!!

regards baz
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 23-Dec-12 10:47:47
Print Post

Re: Fibre Petition

[re: bazza1984] [link to this post]

It depends how certain anyone can be how many of those 330 would actually sign up given the chance.

Given that the biggest FTTC cabinet has 288 connections and the smallest 96, you look to be in the ballpark.

It will depend as well on how far the estate is from any other FTTx cable route.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 23-Dec-12 10:48:53)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 23-Dec-12 11:39:41
Print Post

are these "people that are interested" or "people that will place an order with an SP the day it's available".

Rutland Telecom had a trigger point of 80 for putting FTTC into a village http://www.rutlandtelecom.co.uk/ryhall/

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sun 23-Dec-12 11:47:19
Print Post

How many cabinets serve the estate?

If it's just one has there been a lot of building on the estate in the last 3-4 years?
Standard User bazza1984
(newbie) Sun 23-Dec-12 12:20:05
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

there is onlt 1 cabinet for this estate and the estate next to us has about 5-6 enabled fttc cabinets !!!
and yes this is people who are interested and would place a order due to the lack of internet speed here its terrible... the estate next door can get 80/20 and we are on 2mb max!!!!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 23-Dec-12 12:22:21
Print Post

How many properties on that other estate? Could we have some exchange and/or postcode details for the area please? To me, something isn't adding up.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User David_W
(experienced) Sun 23-Dec-12 12:26:59
Print Post

Ultimately, you'd need to discuss the situation with BT Openreach. Indeed, I'm surprised you didn't do this before you started the petition, as you would then know the reasons why you haven't been included in the roll-out so far, whether there is any hope of you being included in the remaining commercial roll-out, and what level of commitment of signatories to the petition may change Openreach's mind.

If your estate is a third exchange only lines, the other two thirds of lines are split across four PCPs (green cabinet, each of which would need a 'twin' cabinet for FTTC), two of the PCPs would need very expensive work to get a power feed to them, many of the lines are more than 1km from the PCP and there's no existing fibre spine nearby and no ductwork to the existing fibre spine, you have just about every reason for BT not to deploy and the estate is never likely to be included in BT's commercial roll-out, no matter what level of commitment you can get from the residents. All these problems are unlikely to exist on one estate.

If all the lines on your estate originate from a single PCP, the vast majority are less than 500m long, a power feed would be inexpensive and an existing fibre spine runs nearby, BT Openreach may be fairly easily swayed to roll-out FTTC to your estate. Indeed, if it is a new estate, you may be picked up by the in-fill programme - quite often new estates did not feature in original deployment plans but have a clear rationale for roll-out when BT consider adding additional cabinets to already upgraded exchanges.

There's a difference between "I want FTTx on the exchange" and "I commit myself to order FTTx within 6 months of it becoming available". It's easy to make the former statement, but ultimately it means little - it may be motivated by concerns, such as house prices or ease of future sale, other than a desire to order service. The latter commitment makes a sound business case for roll-out, especially if it's signatures from 330 houses, not 330 individuals from a rather lower number of houses.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sun 23-Dec-12 12:32:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by bazza1984:
there is onlt 1 cabinet for this estate and the estate next to us has about 5-6 enabled fttc cabinets !!!
and yes this is people who are interested and would place a order due to the lack of internet speed here its terrible... the estate next door can get 80/20 and we are on 2mb max!!!!

Has there been building on your estate in the past 3-4 years?
Standard User bazza1984
(newbie) Sun 23-Dec-12 13:08:50
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

they are soon to be finished earlie next year, and the reason to why we didint get upgraded was it was not commerically viable at the time of the survey according to openreach the estate next to me has about 1000+ houses..
Standard User bazza1984
(newbie) Sun 23-Dec-12 13:25:22
Print Post

RobertoS

this is the postocode of the school on the other estate the school is a 2 min walk from me

PE30 4RR

my postcode is pe30 4GX
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to