General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User hoopla
(member) Sat 29-Dec-12 17:20:26
Print Post

FTTP On Demand - phone line needed?

[link to this post]

I'm hoping to be able to get FTTP On Demand at a sane price next year.

Right now I'm having to pay for a phone line that I don't use at all, except to carry the FTTC.

If I have to pay for the fibre to connect the FTTP, it doesn't seem logical to rent a phone line I don't want, and that won't be carrying the data connection.

Is it (a) technically possible (b) likely that a broadband-only FTTP deal will be available?
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 29-Dec-12 17:36:00
Print Post

Re: FTTP On Demand - phone line needed?

[re: hoopla] [link to this post]

a) yes it's possible. The fibre is a new connection via a bit of fibre.

b) Who knows. ISPs in the past have not expressed a demand for such a thing, as there's revenue to be had from calls etc, but I'll go and read............

ETA: There's an Openreach brownfield FTTP product at a shade over £200 per year plus VAT without "transitional discount" or "FVA linkage" - ie without a voice service. The equivalent with a voice service is about £100 pa + VAT less.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics

Edited by yarwell (Sat 29-Dec-12 17:47:27)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 29-Dec-12 17:39:25
Print Post

Maybe not, on both counts.

As far as I'm aware, all (UK) broadband is associated with a phone number. A phone number is associated with a line rental ....

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sat 29-Dec-12 17:45:57
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:

As far as I'm aware, all (UK) broadband is associated with a phone number. A phone number is associated with a line rental ....

not always on the Digital region network in south Yorkshire the ISP origin allow you to have a broadband only line (the only isp i know to do it) you do still pay £10 because you do technically have a line still but these lines have no dial tones and no numbers associated with them they don't even allow calls to 999.

and what about that exchange (forgot the name) were they tested 100% FTTP and removed all the coper if you want a phone it comes over the fibre (sip/voip type) instead of PSTN. so i dont see why FTTP/OD would be any different most isp will most likely try to get you to take a phone line but i don't see why it would be mandatory

Ash

Plus.net - Extra Fibre - IP Profile - 69.54 Mbps / 20Mbps
My Broadband Speed Test Speedtest My Broadband Ping
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 29-Dec-12 19:04:10
Print Post

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

I take your point about Digital Region, but it probably doesn't affect the OP. Fibre on Demand being a specific Openreach product.

Re the full FTTP running without any copper feed at all to the premises, I think it is mandatory. I'm sure it was asked a year or so ago and that was what came out.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sat 29-Dec-12 21:41:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:

Not for FTTP. If you check the Openreach price list there's the following pricing listed:

Generic Ethernet Access Connection and Rental Charges - "Transition Product" Variants

Notes:

The “Transition product” is only available in conjunction with an existing WLR or MPF service

If the associated WLR or MPF service is terminated, the full annual rental charges for the appropriate GEA-FTTP product variant will apply from the termination date of the WLR or MPF service

Then there's the FTTP only one:

Generic Ethernet Access Connection and Rental Charges - Data Product Variants

Which is considerably more expensive.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 29-Dec-12 21:57:14
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

Thanks smile

I haven't followed them, but things must have moved on.From your closing comment I get the feeling taking WLR sounds the better option.

Smelly if so, if people don't want a landline phone tongue. Comes to the same thing as I said originally.

Standard User Bob_s2
(committed) Sat 29-Dec-12 22:23:46
Print Post

THe rental is for the line not the phone. To get FTTP you need a line so you will have to pay a line rental. It is possible they may charge a different rental for just a Fibre line. but there will be a rental charge. It covers the cost of maintaince and support for the line as well as billing costs
Standard User Bob_s2
(committed) Sat 29-Dec-12 22:29:03
Print Post

It is irelevent as to whether a line is copper or fibre or whether it is only used for data. There will still be a rental charge to cover suport & maintainance of the line as well as billing costs

It is possible some ISP's might inncorporate the line rental charge into the monthly Broadband charge rather than charge out seperatly for it.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 29-Dec-12 22:31:51
Print Post

[re: Bob_s2] [link to this post]

I think that has already been better explained by IgnitionNet, dear boy.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 29-Dec-12 22:34:01)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to