General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Oddball
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 30-Dec-12 21:26:57
Print Post

IPv6 tunnel not working on BT Infinity

[link to this post]

I have been trying to setup an IPv6 tunnel numerous times on BT Infinity at my parents place. I use HE tunnelbroker and have no issues with it on my home DSL connection with Be.

I've tried disabling Win7 64's firewall and DMZ'ing to my laptop. AFAIK my settings are correct. I also tried messing with HE's MTU as I read this can be an issue on BT FTTC. No joy.

The router is a Netgear WNDR3300

Is it BT not passing protocol 41 or the Netgear or is something else going on?

I know I can use SiXXS or Gogo but they suck to be honest.

---
Rocking at 11-13mbps/1.2-1.4mbps on Be with a 38dB line smile
Standard User robertcrowther
(learned) Mon 31-Dec-12 09:07:06
Print Post

Re: IPv6 tunnel not working on BT Infinity

[re: Oddball] [link to this post]

As far as I know BT Infinity is not compatible with IPv6 like Be is
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Mon 31-Dec-12 09:12:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by Oddball:
Is it BT not passing protocol 41 or the Netgear or is something else going on?

I would suspect the Netgear to start with. Can you try another router?

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Uilebheist
(legend) Mon 31-Dec-12 10:20:41
Print Post

he.net (tunnelbroker.net) will ping your IP address to determine if the tunnel is up.
So I'd start checking if your router is responding to pings from the WAN side.
As for the other reply that BT don't support IPv6 that's a red herring. Neither do Be, but you are actually using protocol 41 under IPv4, which they both support (one hopes wink)
Standard User Oddball
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 31-Dec-12 11:49:23
Print Post

[re: Uilebheist] [link to this post]

The only other router is the Homehub which does not respond to ICMP. The only other way would be to DMZ the Homehub but to be honest I have not had any issues with the Netgear routers both at home and at my brothers with HE.net. I think his is a WNDR3300v2 though. Maybe the v1 blocks pro41 but I could not find anything on Google including any reply to my question on Netgears forums.

---
Standard User Uilebheist
(legend) Mon 31-Dec-12 12:02:48
Print Post

Depending on how they designed the NAT it may just let TCP, UDP and ICMP through and discard everything else.
Wrong thing to do, but I know some routers do that (apparently the one Virgin provided to some friends does that so they can't use he.net from their cable connection).
If the router is the problem a firmware upgrade may fix it, so it's possible that the v1 has a problem and the v2 doesn't (assuming the v2 is a newer product than the v1!)
Standard User Oddball
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 02-Jan-13 13:26:46
Print Post

I contacted Netgear support and asked if the router passed protocol 41 and their reply was "WNDR3300 is only a pass through device. " When I aksed them to clarify this the reply was "The router is pass through Any host internal protocol(port 61). " Which has confused me even more.

I still cannot get tunnelbroker to work.

---
Standard User Uilebheist
(legend) Wed 02-Jan-13 13:46:23
Print Post

The main problem is that you are only seeing one end of the connection. You know you send protocol 41 packets, and you would be receiving them if any arrived, but you don't know what's stopping things or where.
And I can't quite make sense of that reply from Netgear frown and it is somewhat contradicted by Netgear's own product data sheet.
There are still other things you can try. Presumably the netgear is connected to the VDSL2 modem so you could try bypassing that if you have a laptop and pppoe software on it, disconnect the netgear and connect the laptop directly to the modem, start pppoe and then set up the tunnel - see if it in this case (I would expect it does!) and that would at least tell you it's not BT infinity blocking it (I can't imagine why they would, but you never know). Of course, you'll want to do this test quickly as the laptop would be fully on the internet without the protection provided by a firewall.
I can think of other things to try too, with increasing level of difficulty to set up, so I wouldn't try to say anything here unless it's necessary...
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Wed 02-Jan-13 17:13:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by Uilebheist:
if you have a laptop and pppoe software on it

If its a windows laptop, XP and later all include PPPoE drivers built in - and a good enough firewall to block unwanted inbounds.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
  Print Thread

Jump to