General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Steve_York
(newbie) Tue 01-Jan-13 15:55:53
Print Post

Fibre in York

[link to this post]

Im moving to York in a few weeks and am pulling my hair out trying to get a decent internet connection sorted. Hopefully someone can help!

Background:
I'm moving to YO26 4ZP (Westgate appartments)
Using Sams Knows Broadband checker it looks like I will be connected to the York exchange. This in turn looks like it has been enable for FTTC

Unfortunately having tried a few providers website (e.g. plusnet, sky) none of them offer me fibre broadband saying its not available.

1) Why is this? Is it likely to be that the cabinet isn't yet upgraded - if so how do I find out when (or even if!) it will be?

2) What are my options for the best high speed broadband in York?

There's lots of chat about the York City Fibre Ring, and having just moved out from an apartment block that is getting Hyperoptics 1Gbps connection I was hopeful that some company might be providing residential services based on the fibre ring.

Any help and advice appreciated!
Standard User WWWombat
(experienced) Tue 01-Jan-13 19:54:43
Print Post

Re: Fibre in York

[re: Steve_York] [link to this post]

You are most likely to be being provisioned with FTTP rather than FTTC - at least according to an old map of York that Openreach published - back when FTTx was initially being trialled.

The "FTTC/FTTP Trialist Working Group" minutes from September 2010, page 39 should give you a clearer picture. All the cabinets surrounding you seem to be for FTTP.

The downside is that BT are *horribly* delayed with FTTP compared to FTTC - and *that* is probably why you aren't getting any availability while the exchange itself has long been ready.

The best checker is the BT Wholesale one: here.

There has been lots of talk about the York fibre ring, but it hasn't yet turned into quantifiable action for residential use.

York is combined with North Yorkshire in the BDUK bid, so you might get news on their homepage too.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Wed 02-Jan-13 12:55:47
Print Post

FTTPoD

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

It looks as though the pure FTTP deployment has been scaled back in favour of FTTC with the possibility of FTTPoD.

A good move from the Openreach point of view and not actually that bad a move for consumers given the lack of FTTP retail offerings at this time. Hopefully FTTPoD will change this.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Steve_York
(newbie) Thu 03-Jan-13 19:56:11
Print Post

Re: Fibre in York

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Thanks WWWombat, that was a great, albeit depressing, reply.

Am I right in thinking the FTTP trial that was (re)announced in December is not for multi dwelling units?

http://bbpmag.com/wordpress2/2012/12/bt-openreach-pl...
  Print Thread

Jump to