General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Longsword61
(newbie) Wed 02-Jan-13 19:37:21
Print Post

Sky Fibre availability after cabinet installation

[link to this post]

Hi,

My cabinet is currently due to be upgraded according to the BT wholesale checker. Currently I am a sky customer and I would like to upgrade my ADSL serverice to Sky's Fiber service when available. Does anybody know if Sky's Fibre services are available as soon as the FTTC cabinet is live or do I have to wait for any action on Sky's part?

Also, while the BT wholesale checker states that FTTC will be installed at my cabinet shortly, the BT infinity checker states that there is no plans to have FTTC on my local cabinet and I can only register interest. I have done the BT infinity check on my neighbors house and bizarrely the website states that our cabinet will have FTTC! I 'm not overly worried about this as I'm sure there is some sort of database error however I would like to know if anyone else has experienced similar.

Thank you in advance.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 02-Jan-13 19:39:25
Print Post

Re: Sky Fibre availability after cabinet installation

[re: Longsword61] [link to this post]

If Sky are offering FTTC services on your exchange already then should be no real delay beyond databases propagating and them knowing it is available. If it is a case of first time fibre available at the exchange, then Sky may be a bit behind the various BT Wholesale services.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User stevo69
(learned) Wed 02-Jan-13 20:07:53
Print Post

I placed my order with sky on the 21/09/12 which was the same day the BT wholesale checker changed to say that fibre was available,order was accepted and was up and running on the 17/10.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 02-Jan-13 20:44:49
Print Post

Basically Sky have to have a link installed in the local exchange.

This connects the fibre cabinets to their own network in the exchange.
So basically instead of using BTs backhaul like most ISPs you don't do this with Sky. It all goes via their backhaul from your local exchange onwards.

Sky usually get this link installed in advance but if not it can delay it for a few days but usually not long.
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 02-Jan-13 23:06:52
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
if not it can delay it for a few days but usually not long.

We've seen delays of considerably longer before now - and the same with TalkTalk. But what proportion this is, is hard to tell - you never discover the cases that go by unnoticed.
  Print Thread

Jump to