General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User swervinc
(regular) Thu 03-Jan-13 14:52:54
Print Post

Migrating from one provider to another

[link to this post]

Just a few quick questions about moving from one FTTC service to another. If I use my MAC will the provider I am moving to know that I already have a FTTC service or will another engineer visit need to happen? I presume it won't but I'm just checking. And how long does it usually take a migration to happen?

Thanks,
Andrew
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 03-Jan-13 16:01:32
Print Post

Re: Migrating from one provider to another

[re: swervinc] [link to this post]

I don't think the new provider will know you already have FTTC. (Unless an FTTC MAC has a specific format, which I don't know. Even if it does, we don't know if the new ISP will recognise it.

Openreach will of course know, when it goes in with the order on them to do the migration.

An engineer visit is not needed. So if you are ordering online, for whatever side-benefits/deals that gives, I suggest you contact your new ISP once the order has gone through, to tell them.

Any objection to telling us from >> to? Somebody may know something specific about them. (Errm - AAISP to BT, Sky or Plusnet? tongue )

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 03-Jan-13 16:02:05)

Standard User swervinc
(regular) Thu 03-Jan-13 16:10:25
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thinking of moving from AAISP to Plusnet. Don't get me wrong, the service from AAISP the last few years has been excellent and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone who fits the usage but I'm at home a lot throughout the day now and although the Home::1 looks good we usually use around 150GB - 200GB. I believe you've recently moved to Plusnet?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 03-Jan-13 16:25:14
Print Post

[re: swervinc] [link to this post]

Feb 2012, having been on IDNet FTTC from Feb 2011. Like you, no complaints with them, but not worth the extra cost. I've no regrets at all about moving to Plusnet.

If you ring Plusnet after signing up, most of the people answering will know what you are on about. If you have any problems at that stage, sign up to the Community Forum and raise it there. The same excellent reps as come on these forums go there as well, but quite understandably that's their first port of call - not here.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
  Print Thread

Jump to