General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User HiPing
(newbie) Sun 06-Jan-13 12:26:43
Print Post

TB Monitor x2

[link to this post]

When we are allocated a new I.P, is the previous one allocated to someone else straight away?
The reason I ask is because my line, provided by Sky FU has degraded over the past couple of months. Sky in their wisdom thought by sending a new router this would maybe clear things up. Going by other posts here and elsewhere this is will not be the case.
At 1530hrs (roughly), when I plugged in the new router which took approximately 1hr to sync, my I.P changed.
I went on to the TBmonitor to reinput my details. Since then, both I.P.s are being monitored in my account. Is this normal?
If someone else has got my old ip, I see that they are suffering the same probs as myself at night, but with a better latency, (scratches head).
Thanks in advance.

Old ip

Current ip

Edited by HiPing (Sun 06-Jan-13 13:48:36)

Standard User Uilebheist
(legend) Sun 06-Jan-13 13:12:43
Print Post

Re: TB Monitor x2

[re: HiPing] [link to this post]

It certainly looks like the IP address has been reassigned very quickly.
And the other person obviously lives far closer to London (in network routing terms), hence the lower latency.
Standard User HiPing
(newbie) Sun 06-Jan-13 13:22:14
Print Post

[re: Uilebheist] [link to this post]

Problem is, my latency was that low before all the problems started. I was relieved when I first saw it, as I thought my latency had dropped back to normal, then I noticed the ip address.

Edited by HiPing (Sun 06-Jan-13 13:23:49)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Sun 06-Jan-13 13:26:56
Print Post

I would request that you delete (not just disable) the monitor on your old IP.

There are two main reasons for this:

1) if the new owner of that IP attempts to set up a monitor, he/she will get a message saying that it is already being monitored, but they won't be able to see it because it's on your login, and we'll get complaints in TTTS- it's happened before.

2) there is a possibility that the regular ping could be interpreted by the new owner as some sort of probe or potential attack. Apart from causing alarm and despondency, it can easily be traced back to tbb and, again, we get complaints in TTTS.

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Uilebheist
(legend) Sun 06-Jan-13 13:31:48
Print Post

Ah well, I think only Sky can answer that (but will they?)
Speaking of IP address, it would be better to use the "share snapshot graph" link in the BQM as that produces a graph which won't show your IP address.
I note that from here I can ping the "old" IP address but not the "new" one. Have you disconnected again and changed it?
Standard User HiPing
(newbie) Sun 06-Jan-13 13:35:37
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Apologies for that, monitor has been deleted.
Standard User HiPing
(newbie) Sun 06-Jan-13 13:37:49
Print Post

[re: Uilebheist] [link to this post]

Whoops thought I had. IP address is unchanged.

Edited by HiPing (Sun 06-Jan-13 13:51:45)

Moderator billford
(moderator) Sun 06-Jan-13 13:43:15
Print Post

No problem, we just prefer to avoid potential ones!

Thanks.

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Uilebheist
(legend) Sun 06-Jan-13 14:07:27
Print Post

Yes, I think I misread it from the graph - it was visible, but not exactly easy to read. They seem to differ by about 8ms from where I looked. Although i have now closed the tabs so can't see the IPs again wink
<conspiracy theory>
Of course, the reason the IP address has been reassigned so quickly is because Sky have assigned your old IP to something in a datacentre in London and it's showing much better pings; they hoped you'd then agree that things show as improved in the BQM.
</conspiracy theory>
Yes, I know I'm being silly.
Standard User Uilebheist
(legend) Sun 06-Jan-13 14:09:08
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Thanks for the unintentional reminder Bill.
I've deleted my old Be BQM (although they haven't reassigned the IP address yet so no problems caused to anybody).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to