General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 07-Jan-13 10:08:05
Print Post

Re: TB Monitor x2

[re: HiPing] [link to this post]

What is the actual problem? Looks very like the normal situation for peak times where the network gets a bit busy.

I'd only be panicking if lots of red (packet loss) was appearing.

If an online gamer then the massed market providers are to be avoided if stable 24/7 latency is a requirement

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User simon194
(committed) Mon 07-Jan-13 10:11:31
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
Skyuser was reporting some areas where ADSL people were getting new IPs on a reboot - same occurs to my friend on Sky ADSL next to me. Yes I remember they always were sticky.

I still haven't worked out why with everyone having a router on 24x7 why the ISPs get rid of DHCP and just assign everyone a fixed IP - as AAISP do.

On ADSL Sky went back to PPPoA so the IP address will change on a reboot 99% of the time. On fibre Sky uses MER which has a 30 min lease time and IP address only changes if the lease expires without being renewed and even then only if the old IP address has been reallocated in the mean time.

On the second point, I guess as more ISPs start supporting IPv6 then fixed IP addresses for all would be a possiblity.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 07-Jan-13 10:12:56
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
I am surprised the government hasnt regulated static ip's yet given how much easier they would make tracking.
There wouldn't be enough to go round. And the issue goes away anyway on IPv6.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Uilebheist
(legend) Mon 07-Jan-13 10:17:16
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
There wouldn't be enough to go round.

But if routers are on 24x7 then they are using the IPs all the time, so it doesn't make sense to use dynamic to conserve addresses.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 07-Jan-13 10:23:38
Print Post

[re: Uilebheist] [link to this post]

But in general they aren't. Remember, we are geeks.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Uilebheist
(legend) Mon 07-Jan-13 10:26:18
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

If you say so.
Just in case IPv6 runs out too quickly, I've just returned 1,209,036,500,079,071,432,015,872 unused IP addresses to Hurricane Electric. Sorry, can't spare any IPv4 address though.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 07-Jan-13 10:44:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by Uilebheist:
But if routers are on 24x7 then they are using the IPs all the time, so it doesn't make sense to use dynamic to conserve addresses.
I agree with Bob, in general they're not.

If I put my MacBook on a windowsill in an upstairs room I can see anything up to a couple of dozen networks. Around 11pm onwards you can see most of them being switched off...

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Uilebheist
(legend) Mon 07-Jan-13 10:52:39
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

OK, let me rephrase that.
They need to have enough IP addresses for the peak times when everybody's router is switched on. There is no particular advantage in reassigning these when the routers are switched off for the night.

Edited by Uilebheist (Mon 07-Jan-13 11:37:54)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 07-Jan-13 11:25:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by Uilebheist:
OK, let me rephrase that.
They need to have enough IP addresses for the peak times when everybody's router is switched off. There is no particular advantage in reassigning these when the routers are switched off for the night.

????

If the router is OFF why will they need an IP address? - A typo I presume.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Uilebheist
(legend) Mon 07-Jan-13 11:38:24
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Yes, thank you for pointing that out. I'd claim that from the context is obvious I mean "on".
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to